1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MJM Landscaping, Nov 27, 2005.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Bought a new snoway sander this year. 1.7 yards lo pro model with the electric motor. Wired it up seemed to work fine, put sand in it, wouldn't do anything. You could hear the motor clicking every 10 seconds or so. So I emptied the sander by hand until I could see the conveyor, finally got it moving.

It sprays material not even as wide as my truck path, The shields are all the way up. Once I turn it off and then back on I would have to get out and move the spinner by hand (not the safest) to get it going.

Now it won't work at all. Any suggestions????

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

In another post you said sander worked great. second time around a problem? Did any material freeze maybe.

3. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

I guess I spoke to soon. It worked great until I put material in it. i just installed it and it turned right on so I thought it was all set.

4. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I just bought the same one 8' painted electric. $2200. installing it tommorow and will test it and let you know how it worked. How much did you pay for yours.

5. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Right around $2500. It almost seems that the electric motor has no where near the power the sander needs.I dont know

6. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

How much did you load it?
    When I bought mine the dealer told me they make 8' electric in low pro only because you can't load too much in it because the motor isn't be enough. I know smith has dual electric motors. Maybe snoway should of done the same. I will hopefully see tommorrow.

7. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Well my dealership really came through for me. They gave me a full refund and tomarrow it goes in for the Snoway 8 foot stainless steel with a 10.5 briggs on it. The pole on the motor was a little loose but after talking to the mechanic he really pushed me to get the gas one. I just dont see the electric motor being able to push that much material.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you made a wise choice with the gas motor.

9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

we've come a long way with new things, but i don't think we've caught the gas engine " yet "

10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We currently run all gas spreaders. Only thing I would think of switching to would be hydro. Just something about electric turns me off, especially when you add alot of weight , harsh elements, and heavy corrosion into the equation. :rolleyes:

11. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

I really like hydraulic but you have to have the truck plumbed for it and that can get real pricey.

12. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Champion Dealers

I'd like to know the names of the dealers. I'm putting together a really great dealer program for Sure-Flow vibrators and Omegs spinner motor controllers for electric spreaders. So if you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Check out the Omega II if you want to add power and an automatic auger jam clearing feature to your two stage (spinner and auger) electric spreaders. Imagine, never having to unload your hopper by hand to clear a jammed auger! The price is right too.

www.karrierco.com

Kind regards,

Bob Church
    President,
    Karrier Company
    Ph: 800-709-4434