1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems with salter

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by treeman06, Dec 9, 2007.

1. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

i have a two year old western 1000 salter. worked good last year, hooked it up this year and have had problems with the motor overloading. took it to the dealer and they put a new motor in it but still have the same problems. it works fine when it is empty, but when i fill it up it will run for a few seconds and then shut down. any ideas what this could be would help thanks. if i hold the blast button it usally will work longer periods before shutting down.
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I am not a master of electronics, but does your spreader have a selnoid in it? Try adding one or changing it.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Take the plastic housing off that is inside covering the motor.

At the top of the shaft is a set screw that keeps the shaft tight inside the bearing center.

Make sure you line up the flat part of the shaft with the set screw and tighten the set screw.

While you are under there grease the top bearing.

The bearing should be greased once a season according to the book.
    It is also a good time to check the set screw to make sure is tight.

The same thing happen with my Western 1000 on the second year.

I hope the dealer didn't charge you for that motor.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The set screw is on the pully attached to the top of the shaft.
    I thought it was the belt at first and bought one before finding the loose set screw.

I have a spare belt now.