1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with replacement 18hp Honda engine

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lakesregionscap, Nov 10, 2006.

1. lakesregionscap

lakesregionscap Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum here, but it looked like the closest to what I need.... (I'm a visitor from the Lawnsite.com forums).
    Our company has been running Honda commercial snowblowers for the last 9 years, with currently 25 residential driveways. We have a 13hp and a 18hp with 38" snowblower attachements (have mower decks and sweeper attachements for them too). Nice setup, but Honda discontinued them a few years ago... Last winter we had to replace both motors: the 13hp worked slick, but the 18hp we had was discontinued, and Honda substituted with a vertical shaft 18hp that is nearly, but not quite identical... It works great the first 15 minutes. As soon as it gets snow in/on it (and this is snowBLOWING we're talking about!) it starts reving up and down, choking itself out, fouling plugs and generally running like junk. We've tried what seems like everything - dry gas, new plugs, new coil wires, air filter on, air filter off, calling it names, saying prayers... Took it to the local Honda service guy, long story - no solution.
    Bottom line is the snowblower motor can't stand snow.
    Has anyone had one of these motors, or this sort of issue - or any helpful suggestions?
    When it runs, it sucks through plow bankings like butter, the stuff good days out working are made of - the 13hp just has to work a lot harder to get the same results.

Not looking forward to snow at this point...

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I had the same problem you describe, but not with a Honda Engine. It was a 16hp Kohler Engine on a Gravely Two Wheel Tractor with a Snow Blower. In the right kind of conditions the snow would blow back on the engine and plug up the vent hole in the fuel cap and the fuel could not flow fast enough for what the engine needed. The quickest test for this would be to loosen the fuel cap a little bit the first time the problem starts and see if that solves it. Then you know to clean the vent.