1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with plow on my S-10

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by SS5800, Jan 28, 2009.

1. SS5800

SS5800 Junior Member
    from eastern

Hey guys. I have been having some problems with my 6 1/2 ft meyers plow on my 4x4 S-10 pickup lately.

The problem is, We will be plowing pretty heavy snow for about....twenty five minutes. Then i will start having problems with the battery. My lights dim like crazy, the plow will completely drain the truck when lifting to the point where it stalls out. And now its outside sitting in the middle of my driveway becase it wont lift, tilt anymore.

This is what we have done to it.

Installed new joystick because it would tilt and lift time to time, not always. So we though that joystick was bad.

We installed brand new power and ground wires to the plow. because we thought it was that.

Fluid is topped off.

Brand new Solienoid.

I cant think of anything else besides that the battery and alternator combo suck, After i put it on the trickle charger for about an hour it works like a champ then dies again after about half hour of plowing.

Now I dont even hear the solenoid clicking and my truck doesnt have enough juice to start without a jump

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you may need a new battery. How old and what size battery do you have? I don't remember but is there space in the s10 for a second battery? You might also think about a new "bigger" alt. I wouldent buy at parts store go to an electronics repair shop. Thye can "build" you a much bigger one mor e output that will still fit on the stock brackets.

3. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Im no expert, but from what I've gathered around here........THE PLOW ON YOUR S-10 IS THE PROBLEM.

4. SS5800

SS5800 Junior Member
    from eastern

You are completley wrong. Many many many people have small trucks like mine with small plows. Its an electrical problem. What an arrogant response.

Also, I went back out started it. I had to give the truck some gas so it wouldnt shut off when i lifted the plow up. But when trying to tilt the volt meter on my dash goes immediately to nothing and will stall the truck completley.

5. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Sounds like you need a new battery and/or alternator.

6. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

I would agree.

7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Check the grounds on your pump and your solenoid. If the problem just started I would start there. How old is the motor on the pump? If it is old and been used alot it might be time for a new one. You might be drawning too many amps and causing your lights to go dime and even to the point of stalling. If your ground is bad it would do the same thing, I ran a 6.5 Meyer on a Jeep so I don't think it's too big for a S10. Just my $.02. If you are close to a parts store most of them can check your alternator and battery for you.

8. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Time for a new alternator!

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Get it started tomorrow, and run down to the closest parts store. Let them test both the alt, and the battery. I would almost be willing to bet that one of the two, or possibly both are shot. I have a 6.5 poly on my S-10 blazer, and I wouldn't trade anything it for anything. They get into spots that Full size trucks can't touch.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You may also want to look at the chevy thread. The first post is about adding an extra cable between alt and battery. I'm not sure if this will help or not on an s-10

11. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

what does the volt meter do when your running the lights and heaater fan? if it running below 13.6. your alt. is not keeping up. I would buy the 100amp. or bigger alt and a new battery, Get the alt with the lifetime warranty, is only about $10 more. Check the motor on the pump, its sounds like its drawing too many amps. it could need rebuilt or replaced good luck

12. Glenzo

Glenzo Junior Member

Try bigger battery first and if needed you could replace alternator 2nd,Had same problem with another truck earlier this year,battery was just tired replaced with new ,works great now