1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with Peladow-Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by srl28, Jan 17, 2012.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

In the past few years we purchased a few pallets of 50lb bags of Peladow Calcium pellets for walkways and such. Thinking of switching to something else. It works very fast, in very low temperatures, easy to spread, etc etc but the chemical effects on skin is insane!

Dries out skin and gives a chemical burn more or less. Leaves a icky dry yet pastie feeling on clothes, gloves, etc. The skin burns are whats getting to me. Alwaysn wear gloves but the dust (which blows around and burns) is a real PITA!

So I'm wondering what you guys are using for walkways. Mag? Calcium? Blizzard Wizard or a similar treated salt?
  2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

im using mag for one account with new crete.

i dont care for it to tell you the truth, works fast but has NO residual effect at all so you always have to go back and add more. Then it pulls so much moisture out of the air the walks always stay wet.
  3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Calcium tends to do that as well. Very quick though, if its icy you can stand there and hear the ice cracking and melting.

Used some product that our local Lowes had that was small pellets. Terrible! Ran in the other night and picked up a bag just to try it out. Never again.

Trying to think of things to try and maybe switch to

Mag flake?

Another calcium?
  4. newhere

from Fenton

i used some flake one time a home owner had sitting out that was insane, it ate into 2" of hard packed snow in front of my eyes. More then likely mag flake like you say.

I think next im going to use a good blend, something with mag to get it activated and then more of a typical salt product to leave a little residual behind.

most people i know quit using peladow just because of the irritating skin effects.

I got a mag pellet in my eye the other night, HOLLY MOTHER EFFER did that hurt.
  5. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Yea the skin burns it causes are insane. It pulls the moisture right out and leaves it this very odd undescribably sticky feeling. And the dust it gives off as you spread it is easily inhaled. Feel like you need a whole tyvec suit each time you use it.

Gonna try some mag flake. Should get a small storm later this week. We will see
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Any bad effects on the concrete? Ive always thought magnesium was the worst product to use on new concrete, or concrete in general.
  7. newhere

from Fenton

boy i sure hope not! the guy i bought it from says its the safest thing to use and all over the bag it says safe to use on concrete.
  8. todddude

todddude Junior Member

Mag is the MOST DESTRUCTIVE to all concrete. Tons of info online if you google it. Just do like "Magnesium effects on cement"...it will blow your mind! Enough said....do the research.
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Try some landscapers choice. It's a CMA treated salt product. Seen it used on walks for years with no ill affect. It's a green color, so you always know where the product has already been applied.

We use Peladow on the majority of our sites, but a couple wanted the CAndscapers Choice, seems to work well.