1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with older meyer C-8 (Spongy angle Cylinders)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kevn83, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kevn83

kevn83 Junior Member

I am new to the forum... I hope you guys can help me out.

I just bought an 1986 chevy K20 with a old C-8 plow. It was used as a back up plow for a company for the last couple years.

Anyways the plow seems to work fine except for the angle. The angle cylinders are spongy. They will turn the plow but are not solid and the plow will move around when under load. I lifted the plow and angled to one side and then pushed on the one side and could almost straighten the blade out.

I have no manual and at this point do not even know how to check the level of hydraulic fluid.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

low on fluid and possibly air in the cylinders.

Link to meyers at the top of the page where you can find a manual.
  3. georgel104

georgel104 Junior Member

lower the blade and push the lift arm all the way down, remove the plug on top of the pump and ensure the fluid is about a half inch from the top. angle the blade left and right to work all the air out of the angle cylinders (keep checking the fluid level during the process) then try pushing the blade. as long as the blade doesn't angle when it is being raised you just need to adjust the crossover relief valve if the pump is an e-47 ore-60 series it is located on the side of the valve body i can't remember off the top of my head how many turns i can check in the morning when i get home from work . the only other thing is to make sure the cylinders aren't pitted and your using the right fluid
  4. LON

LON Senior Member

blown cross-over relief