1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with new truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AFM Contracting, Dec 5, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

We got some snow last night so I went for a drive and decided to try out the 4x4, It felt like it was slipping and the front end of the truck was bouncing around. My mechanic said it was because of the tires, 3 are the stock LT245/75-16 and the front passenger side is 235/85-16. He also says that was why my ABS controler kept kicking in. Anyone have any opinions?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Only one - get another LT245/75-16 -- now.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Certainly a good place to start. The ABS sensors work on wheel motion relative to the others and cen get messed up when you have different size tires on. Not if you change your tires size, just if you have mismatched tires.

Go get another tire right away.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

check the transfer case make sure the fluid is good and the tire like mick said

5. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I already ordered 2, there going on the truck tomorrow, just thought you guys might have some other opinions.

6. john95chevy

john95chevy Junior Member

i dont think that would make that much of a difference seeing that a 245/75/16 is very close to a 235/80/16

235 divided by 80 is 2.9375 which is the height of the sidewall times 2 plus the size of the rim

so 2.9375 times 2 = 5.875 + 16 = 21.875 hieght of tire

now for now for 245/75/16

245/80 = 3.26 times 2 = 6.52 + 16 =22.52

a difference of 5/8 of an inch a tire with low air pressure has more difference than that

and even if it did cause a problem it would more than likely be with the differentials not the transfer case

just my 2 cents

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It's not the tire size, it's the type of tire. 245's are just fine in the snow, but not the crappy stock Firestones, and not a highway tire. What kind of tires are on there?

8. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

The 235 is one inch taller, which relates to 3.14 more inches of travel compared to the other side. Nothing else is wrong, change your tire before you brake something.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDENTICAL tire sizes are a must on 4x4's

10. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

if your abs is still doing weird stuff it is probably rust and junk buildup between the sensor and the exciter ring, pull the sensor out if you can determine which one it is with a scan tool and clean all around it, but be very careful when pulling the sensor that you don't break it.

But put a tire on that truck asap you have to run the same size tires on both axles when you have a 4x4

Jeff

11. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

Quite correct, you can't run different size tires on a 4x4, expecially if you a LSD or a locker.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Are you guys reading his post? First off I 100% agree the tires should be the same size.

But his complaint is not how his breaks function, it's was when he put it in four wheel drive.I would think if the truck is on dry pavement and it hops up and down, turning tight that's normal. I bet you that it would it would be even worse with odd size tires.

Just a warning any old 4x4 with different tires and has been run that way is bound to have more wear in that differential and most likely some other maintenance issues.

13. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

Thanks guys, you have been a hell of alot of help, i put new tires on today. the abs controler seems to be ok, i dont have a clue where the sensor is so unless it is really simple to find im gonna leave it alone. i didnt try the 4x4 yet but i will and let you guys know. Thanks for all the help.

14. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Hope it works out for you as I am willing to bet that it is just the tire.Dont forget that 1 tire no matter how much different in size will affect abs and turning.ABS sensors are independent of on another tied to a central computer.With tire sizes having different diameters they are going to rotate at different at different speeds thelling the computer different things.

15. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Yes, we did read his original post.

He was having brake problems too.

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I know and it's happened to two of our trucks now, but a speed sensor in the front driver side hub, have a habbit fo going. The way you know it's either a bad wire, or the sensor has come lose a bit and rubbing on some metal in there and needs to be replaced it when you are near a crawl and on the brakes you'll feel the abs kick in for that last second or two of braking.

17. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

quote from Bruce
    know and it's happened to two of our trucks now, but a speed sensor in the front driver side hub, have a habbit fo going. The way you know it's either a bad wire, or the sensor has come lose a bit and rubbing on some metal in there and needs to be replaced it when you are near a crawl and on the brakes you'll feel the abs kick in for that last second or two of braking

You can usually fix that by cleaning the sensor and all the metal and crap around it, even brake dust if you run your brakes down to metal on metal will accumulate in behind the sensor and throw things off

by the way glad to hear you got everything sorted out just by putting a pair of tires on the truck

18. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

where do i find these sensors so i can clean them up, because im willing to bet that the sensors are filled with crud. and what do i use to clean them thanks

19. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Never run odd tires on a 4x4. Always the same size. As for the abs, the tires could throw it off, as previously said, due to the fact that the sensors ARE on the wheel assembly.