1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with my Meyers E-47H

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by oldfool, Jan 2, 2015.

1. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Can't get the unit to move. I originally intended to just replace the leaking O ring around the lift rod, but got the set of O-rings & decided to go further. I opened up one section at a time, cleaned the 3 filtering screens & found each area to be free of any sludge/dirt, except inside the reservoir where there was just a little sludge. Replaced each of the O-rings I found as I went along. Reassembled the unit, filled the fluid & manually worked the lift bar to get out any air, connected the wiring, jumped in the cab & hit the toggle switch up, down, right & left, but all I get is a click and a drop in amps on the gauge. Replaced all three solenoids, but still show the same problem. What Can I do to undo what I did??? Please help.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you getting power to the motor? Is the motor properly grounded? While this is going on, try and tap on the motor with a hammer and see what happens

3. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Problems with Meyers E47H

Yes, I am getting power to the motor. & the motor is in good shape; I took it apart (tricky getting the brushes to stay in place when closing up), brushes all good-even wear. Cleaned all slots between coppers commutator. checked grounds & replaced the solenoid too. It acts like something inside is jammed.

By the way, this yellow bomb rides on the front of my 1990 Jeep Wrangler Laredo, with 39,500 original miles & just very minor underside rust. I run with the hard top this time of year, just waiting to switch to the soft top when it warms up a bit.

4. dieselss

Try jumper cables just to see if all the contacts are good. After that I would remove the motor and try it out if the plow

5. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Thanks. So you think the motor may not be getting the full power to it? I'm not familiar with where to connect the jumper cables. Can you advise, please? With/without ignition on? With/without Switch engaged?

6. dieselss

Jumper cables from your battery to the plow motor. Pos to pos. Neg to neg...see if the motor runs.

7. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

K, I'll go try it now. Will take me a while to get there, but want to get this done before I loose you & before the snow gets here tonite.ussmileyflag.

8. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Well, I did it. The motor spins like a champ. Oh man, I hope I haven't reached a dead end....Is there anything else I CAN CHECK OR TEST?

9. dieselss

So, now you need to back up and Ck the batt input at the solenoid, then while the solenoid is engaged, Ck the output at the solenoid, then again at the motor. Just need to "jumper" the small terminal on the solenoid btw

Also you can try it with the jumper cable still on the negative batt, then with it disconnected just to rule out a gnd issue

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

THANKS DIESELSS,

Sorry for delay. Fighting Flu & heavy rains. Motrin just kicking in, so I'm going out now to apply your latest advice. Will let you know results as soon as finished.

11. dieselss

Ok..........

12. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

ok Dieselss, I got something. I cleaned/tightened a lot of connections, then ran the tests. Now I get the motor turning, but no pump response. At the toggle switch the motor spins when I toggle left, right and up, but no pump reaction.

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Take motor back apart, flip center section, reassemble.

14. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Sorry for my ignorance. Not sure I understand. Also, I forgot, when I take the motor off, must I first drain the oil, or will it stay in the pump without leaking out?

15. kimber750

If oil leaks out you have a bad pump seal. The center section of the motor, flip it over and put back together. If installed backwards the motor will spin backwards. And yes it will go on either way.

16. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

High Dieselss. Think I found what you're having me do....is it the outer housing to be flipped, because if it is backwards the motor spins in the wrong direction?

17. kimber750

The center magnet case. If this is on wrong the motor spins backwards then you have no plow functions. If motor is spinning the right way you would at least have left movement since that is default for Meyer.

Take top/brush cap off, pull outer case off leaving armature on pump, flip center section over and put back over armature then put top cap back on.

18. dieselss

Thx kimber....your the Meyer guy. I just stayed at a holiday inn. And I'm out for the first time. Yea!

19. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Thanks dieselss. YOU DID IT! mY MEYERS E-47 IS WORKING!! I really appreciate hanging in with me. Can't believe I assembled the motor wrong, but guess that's part of getting old. THANK YOU AGAIN, VERY MUCH!!

20. oldfool

oldfool Junior Member

Hello Kimber750,
    Thank you also for your help. You guys(& girls) are THE BEST! I really appreciate the fast, accurate help. Maybe I should schedule doing this kind of stuff in warmer weather......Nah, that's too easy.
    HAPPY PLOWING & HAPPY NEW YEAR.