1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems with my fisher speed cast plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cclandscape 28, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

I just bought this mason dump with a fisher speed cast setup. Went out and t bought a 9 foot plow for it. It seems that with the hydraulic hoses connected and no weight from the plow it moves no problem - But once under a load it doesn't want to move in any direction and struggles to even t raise up ? Have checked all fluids hose connections Any input would be great

2. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

More than likely the valve is bad.Make sure the pumps belt is tight.Then try racing the motor a bit and see if it moves better.If it does the pump could be tired aswell.

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

x2. The hydraulic pumps ran off a belt connected to the engine so when the rpms were raised the belt moves faster giving more power to the pump. Good luck.

4. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey thanks guys for the input. I got another pump for it and it seems to be working great now. The pump i got has a smaller pulley and the plow seems to move pretty quickly. I did have to modify the fan housing cause the pump was a diffrent size but it seems to be working like new. So i would gues that the old pump must had been weak thats why under the load it didnt want to move the plow. Are the old pumps rebuildable? Do you guys know ? Thanks

5. Effinay

Effinay Member

Plow pump problem

I've got similar issues with my "old school" equipment. I suspect a pump replacement is in order as well, but it irks me to have to lay out the 300 plus bucks for a replacement!:cry: I've been asking the same question in reference to rebuilding these pumps and can't seem to get an answer either. Isn't there anybody that could shed some light on this or is this like some secret that's protected better than KFC's blend of herbs and spices? So how 'bout it....anybody, Bueller, Bueller?

6. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

At this point in time most of the pump stuff is 15+ years old.Fisher doesnt offer much.And if u have to pay someone to do it.Ya might as well buy one off Ebay.I see them go 85-$150 from people that for what its worth w/ 100% pos feedback say theres work...........

7. Effinay

Effinay Member

pumps

Thanks for the speedy response. I was actually thinking about doing this myself. Don't know where to find parts. I'm sure there is some hydraulic place somewhere that has got them on a shelf. I'm going to take your advice and start with Flea-bay. Is there a category that I should start my search in? Thanks again for any help you might offer.
    J-

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Hydraulic pumps are hydraulic pumps, they don't have to be Fisher brand, Fisher probably just bought them from a manufacturer, stuck a Fisher sticker on the box and doubled the price, I found this out about fifteen years ago when the pump on my MM1 with under hood hydraulics died out, I bought a pump (pump only, hydraulic fluid resevoir was remote location) for all the money, about a month later I saw the same pump in a tool catalog (Northern, Grainger or something like that) for half of what I paid at the Fisher dealer.

9. Effinay

Effinay Member

plow pump

Now we're talking! I didn't think of the Grainger guys. Northern Hydraulics too. Good thinking my friend and thank you for the suggestions.