1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems with my 04duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jderr, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Jderr

Jderr Junior Member

has anyone had this problem? my truck stalls running down the road:
    : i changed the fuel filter about 35miles ago it fixed it for a week today 5/27. then it happened again. it was also raining both times .NEED SOME HELP
  2. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

may have got a load of bad fuel and clogged the filter again.
  3. Jderr

Jderr Junior Member

i added fuel dry last week ,would you have any suggestions? before it goes to dealership my luck we will finely get snow when its at the shop
  4. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

Check out www.thedieselplace.com and do a search there. Those guys might be able to shine some light on your situation.
  5. Jderr

Jderr Junior Member

Thanks im checking it out now.
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Kind of strange. Sounds like the fuel system is not maintaining pressure. I agree, search all over Diesel Place, because I guarantee your problem has been covered. If not, post your problem on the site. That it is by far the greatest community for diesel truck owners, IMO.
  7. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

it sounds to me like bad fuel, think back to where you got your fuel at last.
    when I drove truck, the only thing that would stop are trucks 99.9% of the time was water in the fuel.
    sometimes we had to empty out are tanks and start over.
    The places I had gotten bad fuel was in Mechanicsburg, PA. and a 76 Truck Stop up in CT.
    The problem was they didnt dip there tanks or they didnt care about them.
    All under ground fuel tanks have water in them!
    stations are suspose to dip there tanks to see what there water levels are, and when they get to high, have there water levels pumped down.
    But that is expensive for them, and some I think just cheat.

You can try sucking out some of your fuel into a large glass jar, and let it settle.
    if there is water it will be easy to tell, as it will seperate from the fuel.
    You can buy a bunch of fuel filters and just keep running it until they clog up and replace them. But thats the worst thing and it sucks.
    The best thing to do is drain your tank, remove the water and refill.

This could should be a good lesson, to buy your fuel at as few places as you can.
    Petro's, Pilots and Flynn J's usally have the best fuels, and watch there tanks closely.
    my company use to charge the stations, that gave us bad fuel.

I still practise this, I only buy my gas from one bp station unless I'm traveling.
    My last car, the engine had a 12:1 compression ratio from the factory, and If I didnt run the best high octane gas it ran like crap. I tried a few places and the BP was always on top.
    I also like are local Speedways, but they only carry 91 octane and are car like 93 or higher.
  8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The Duramax has a water in fuel sensor and a light in the dash that tells you when there is water. Any water that accumulates in the water separator can be drained by the little plug under the fuel filter housing. It is very easy to do. Look in your owner's manual for the step by step procedure.
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The fords have a crank timing sensor that goes out causing a similar problem.I think the chevy has the same sensor.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  10. mak

mak Junior Member

Fuel pump?

Just throwing fuel pump out there, typically they work or they don't but I had one that had a bad 4" rubber hose from the pump inside the tank to the metal bracket. Just a thought.
  11. hummertech

hummertech Junior Member

the lly had a wire chaffing problem near the number 7 injector. generaly causing a stalling issue. also dry gas is bad for diesels. try not to use any kind of fuel additive that contains alcohol. alcohol will suspend water in diesel fuel were it can't be seperated by the filter.
  12. BigBurban

BigBurban Member

Check engine light on? Any chance you can get the codes with a scanner if it is on?

Check the wiring harness for the FICM. It has a history of rubbing through near the alt. Do a search on http://dieselplace.com/forum/ for FICM wiring if you need further help.
  13. Jderr

Jderr Junior Member

thanks to everyone 4 the advice . it was the computer and under warranty:redbounce :nod: :nod: :nod: