1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with fisher HD plow on Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by perfusionist1, Oct 28, 2008.

1. perfusionist1

perfusionist1 Junior Member

Having problems with my fisher HD plow on my Dodge Ram 2500. I think there is a short in one of the 9 pin connectors. One connector has 3 pins( I believe this is directional control, up, down, left and right) and the other has 9 or 11(I believe this is for light control.)
    When I press any of the buttons to move the plow it either only move right until it can't go any farther and the motor continues to run, or it doesn't move at all and the motor continues to run. Every once in a while it will obey my comands but usually it just does what's above. If I fidget with the 9 pin connector sometimes it works. Any thoughts. Where can I find the pin connector replacements cheap. Is these an easy thing to cut and resplice? Thanks a bunch for any help. It's greatly appreciated.

Jake Heiner

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

www.centralparts.com has those harness splices...not the cheapest things but will get the job done correctly!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You mean the motor continues to run AFTER you let go of the controller? Or it just runs but doesn't actually move?

4. perfusionist1

The motor runs only when the buttons are pressed. Once the button is released, the motor shuts off.

thanks for any help.

Jake

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are the grill conectors in good condition...no corrosion in the pins?

You wouldn't happen to have the hand held controller by any chance?

6. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I just replaced the three pin connector on one of my trucks (truck side plug) using one of those repair/splice kits. Took all of ten minutes to repair. Also had to replace the eleven pin connector, but I had to buy the whole wiring harness to fix that. Apparently they don't make a repair plug for that connector.

7. perfusionist1

Yes, B & B, I have a handheld controller. I don't beleive the pins are rusted, but I could take a little steelwool to them and shine them up nice.

JBMILLER616...Where did you pick up the connectors? Did you have to buy both the male and female ends together? For the 11 pin connector, how much work was replacing that, or did you just cut and splice the connector together.

Again, thanks for your input. Got lucky last night, had 4 inches of snow last night and no plow. Could have been much worse.

Jake

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Borrow another controller and check the operation before cutting and changing the grill connectors out. The hand held controllers are well know for causing incorrect operation when they're failing.

9. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

It was just the truck side 3 pin connector, not the plow side. The repair harness has connections already on it, so all you have to do is cut the bad one off and crimp the new one on.

Cost for the repair harness was about $50.

The cost for the 11 pin connector (plow lights) was $125. Like I said before, they don't make a repair harness for this. You have to buy the whole harness that goes from the control module to the front of the truck. I'll be installing it tomorrow.

I got everything from Hartford Truck Equipment in S. Windsor, CT. I love it there, they stock EVERYTHING Fisher.

EDIT: You're in Albany, try these guys, I've heard good things....... http://www.ststrailer.com/truck_equipment.htm

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008