1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with a new Hiniker

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pioneer2, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Pioneer2

Pioneer2 Junior Member
    from Denver

So I decided to get back into pushin snow for some extra cash. So I bought a 9" Hiniker Poly Trip Edge. Install was pretty easy and got it finished up last night. So I get the plow onto the truck (2004 Dodge 2500 CTD if ya care) and fill the tank with fluid per the instructions. Fire up the truck and try to lift the plow to get the air out of the lines and it goes up and crash's back down. So I figure the tank is already low but only about a half an inch below the full line. So I fill it up and try agian, same thing! Plow goes up and comes back down before I even let go of the controller.

So I try to angle it from side to side and get the air out of the lines and hit the right and the plow goes up :confused: So I hit the left side, same thing plow goes up :confused: At this time I think I have the wiring all jacked up so pull out the diagram and take a look. As I'm following the wires to the solinoids I touch the lines going to the angle cylinders and burn my damn arm!

So at this point I pull all the wiring and do it agian. Still won't work, push the control in any direction but down and the plow goes up. So now I'm mad as hell and still burning my damn arms on the lines.

So now I gotta figure out how to get this 1000 lbs monster off the front of my truck. Since I had it on a dolly and when I lifted the plow the dolly went rollin down the driveway So I have my wife come out and try to lift the plow via the controller while I try and drop the leg so I could back out of it. I used my head and found out that, that was not the best plan.

So I grabbed some straps out of the back of my truck and hook the straps up the side of the plow and then to the back of my Jeep. Worked just great if I would have remembered to disconnect the wiring So now I have the plow off my truck and need to rewire the harness to the plow since I ripped it off in my moment of glory.

So does anybody have any clue why the plow would only go up even when you hit the joystick to the right or left side and why in heck are the lines so hot I burn my arms? I'd take it to a local shop but since I was stupid and bought the plow over the internet I'm boned unless I bend over really far!!! All the wiring checked out so I am really confussed on what to do next

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How long were you cycling your hydraulics to get them hot enough to burn you?

Are your hydraulic lines correctly connected to the manifold, and their respective cylinders?

If all wires are 100% correct, and all hydraulic lines are 100% correct, then it's got to be a faulty valve or soleniod.

Did you try calling the factory?

3. Pioneer2

Pioneer2 Junior Member
    from Denver

About a minute total each time, tried about four or five times to get it to work. But after each attempt I would turn truck off, slam door on truck, go into garage and beat my head agianst the wall, then go inside to get some ice for my newly aquired battle wounds.

Yep, that was the first thing I checked. Top manifold port to the lift cylinder. Back right side of port to the right angle cylinder. Left port on the back of the manifold to the left angle cylinder.

I there a way to check for this?

Going to do this today!!!

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is your controller good? you might also have something stuck in the manifold causing the valves to stick.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Were the wires how or the hydraulic lines hot??? Hot wire leads me to believe there is a short somewhere. Hot hydro lines makes me thing the pump is running with the valves closed(assuming it is electric/hydro setup). Either way to me it sounds like you got the wires wrong check the wiring diagram, and I bet you mixed something up there.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Unfortunately for you, Hiniker is the least supported plow manufacturer on the forums. There just isn't a great deal of them out there. Call the factory on a cordless phone so you can troubleshoot with their technician while on the phone. Have your instructions handy and read through them to help him help you.

7. paulcar

paulcar Junior Member

:waving: Who did you buy the plow from - Can't they help you?? :waving:

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i can tell you from experiance that if you have a ground issue
    you will have all kinds of funny stuff happening. had a fisher
    act strange cause i forgot a ground....

9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

I think wirenut has the right idea.
    If your hydraulic hoses were "hot" then I would say that you could very well have ground troubles.
    Sounds like the power unit may be picking up it's ground thru the steel braids in your hydraulic hoses from your a-frame then to the undercarriage.
    That will cause the hydraulic hoses to get "hot".
    This would be the from the lack of direct or poor battery ground to your power unit from your battery, and can cause all kinds of unexpected troubles.
    Yours would be the second one I've run across this season if that's what you find.

Keep us informed.
    :rolleyes: John...........

10. Pioneer2

Pioneer2 Junior Member
    from Denver

Well I got tired of playing "name that problem" with the people at Hiniker and they had me take it to a shop here in Denver to get it fixed. After them setting my truck on fire (with the ground issue the plow was grounding threw the bed and when the ground cable from the bed to the cab got the big load it fried leaving the back of the cab and the bed nice and black :realmad: ), and a $1200 repair bill the plow is workin. Turned out that the motor was fried and had a broken ground cable. So now I gotta do battle to get my cash back from Hiniker. They seemed like they would handle it and try to get me the money back, but we'll see :rolleyes: