1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with 2004 3500 Diesel with Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris Lemonds, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Chris Lemonds

Chris Lemonds Junior Member

:angry: I have a 2004 crew cab 3500 diesel duallie. Just Got a Blizzard 810 installed. Very upset, because the center mount rides 3 inches off the ground. I bottomed out numerous times on my three hour journey back home after the install. Chevy wont install the plow package, and one 4x4 company told me to crank the torsion bars and put bilstien shocks on it. But I have to re align it with the plow on and with the plow off. UGGGHHH!!! Forget that!! PLEASE Give Some Suggestions! Snow is coming soon in Virginia.

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

without seeing it, it is hard to tell, very likely you need to crank the torsion bars down a bit. first i would try some ballast in the rear. dont give up on the blizzard, your way ahead of your competition. not many people on here give those plows much credit. ( they probably dont own one if they are bashing them,IMO). i've got two blizzards and two westerns and a boss v and the blizzard is on my plow truck. in a pinch, i'll get in a western for whatever reason and i dont understand why i dont sell them to my competition in town and go by another blizzard. good luck!

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

crank up the torsion bars and install timbrens which are basicaly
    are progressive rubber stop that keeps the suspension from compressing all the way
    john

4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

First off. 3 inches? Really? If this is the case then there may be some installation problems.

Check this first. With the plow off the truck and sitting on level ground. Measure from the ground to the "center" of the push beam. You should have 12.5 to 14 inches. If not, look at the mount itself. Are there an extra set of holes that the push beam could be moved UP to?

Put the plow on the truck. With the plow down, the A-Frame should be pretty close to paralle to the ground. If it is too low in the back and you can raise the beam up as in the paragraph above, do it. If the beam is in the upper most hole and the frame is angeling backwards, you will have to install some sort of suspension assistance. IE" timbrens, etc.

Bare in mind, if you are going to be carrying a load, you will need to take this into consideration. The load will raise the front some. You will just have to find a happy medium and go with it.

5. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Highpiont, on the chevy mount you cant adjust the push beam. Chris try cardoctors idea should work

6. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

DEFINATELY sounds to me that your push beam is WAAAAAYY to low. Blizzard recommends that the bottom of the beam is 12-12.5 inches off the ground with the plow off. If it was installed correctly, it would be dropping your suspension by about 9 inches. Chevies don't even have that much travel! Either way I would definitely 1) Adjust your push beam up 2) Crank the torsion bars a bit 3) add timbrens

7. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

So what was the final outcome?

Was there an install issue?

Was the Blizzard to heavy?

How did you fix it?

8. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

What i noticed is most plows the hookup hieght is similar no matter how high the truck's frame sits. This has to be setup properly on install.

The next issue is how much does the truck lower from the weight when you raise the plow? They all lower at least 3/4" and up to 1-1/2"

Raise the torsion bars. You can get it aligned but not sure if you really need to. I raised my t-bars and had it aligned. Almost no change required.

Leave the t-bars cranked all the time. Truck sits better anyway. Ride quality is same as stock. Not like the older C/K trucks.

Install Timbrens and ballast and you should be fine.

9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a 2001 3500 duramax with a 810 and I have no problems at all. I cranked up the torsion bars and Im pretty sure mine came with the snow pkg.

10. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

timbrens they work great on my little rig

im000182 (2).jpg

11. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The Chevy/GMC undercarrige is NOT adjustable. What will help your situation is to turn up the torsion bars 3/4's of the way. Do not over tighten !!!!!!!

This should help your problems.

12. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

try timbren load boosters. I have a 2002 Avalanche 1500 and that helped keep the truck up with the plow on.

13. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I'm not sure I understand what you are meaning here by '3/4's of the way'--or if it applies to a '92 K3500. I've tightened 2-1/2 full turns on each side mostly to get the proper clearance from the ground to enable easier hookup but also to stiffen up the suspension. Now I wonder if I've gone too far. Haven't plowed with this truck yet, but with Timbrens on the front and an empty 2 yard spreader on the flatbed, it seems to ride ok without diving. But what do you mean by 3/4's of the way?

14. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

I don't have a 1 ton but I do have a 2500HD which almost is. I cranked my torsions up 6 full turns on the right side and 7 full turns on the left side (fuel tank and driver) WHAT A DIFFRENCE! give it a try. its really easy and when the plow is on your wheel camber settles back down to where it is supposed to anyways.
    -Jeff-

15. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I also have a 2500HD (2003) and the Boss tech said to only go up 4 turns on the torsion bars, any more and I'd need an alignment. Once I did that and put on slightly larger tires the ride was way better than stock and the plow went on and off much easier.

16. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Am running 3500 chev dually. Cranked the torsion bars 5 complete turns. ( count them equally on both sides ) and she rides nice and runs straight as an arrow with a Blizzard 810. Drive the highways a lot at 65 miles an hour and don't realy notice it till I look at it.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Often overlooked is the fact that most Cheve/GMC's come out of the dealer with about 40# of air pressure in the tires. They are rated at 80# on most 2500 and 3500's. Check and set the air pressure. The tire squat can be 2-4" on some of the 3500's.

Jerre

p.s. There is always the solution to buy a truck not a car with a truck body on it..... Sorry couldn't resist. When they put a solid axle and leaf springs back under a Cheve I'll probably buy one again.

18. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Torsion Bars and Timbrens!

With the GM IFS you need to do this with these heavy plows.

19. Maine Plow Man

Maine Plow Man Junior Member

Very simple . . . . between the curb weight of the vehicle (crew cab dually), the weight of the diesel engine, and the weight of that plow, you have severly exceeded the GVWR and FGAWR of your vehicle.

That is not a plow truck, and that is too much weight to put on that truck!