1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems Quoting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by davewh, Oct 25, 2008.

1. davewh

davewh Member

I just lost another church based on price parking lot holds about 60 cars and is fairly straight forward I quoted 175.00 per month with a 2" trigger keep in mind thats for an unlimited amount of plows per month and I still did not get it.

I've looked over every inch of this site for some guidance and although there is a ton of help there seems to be no industry standard.

Need some guidance please.

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

lost probably cause you were to cheap

3. davewh

davewh Member

Actually I tried this as a test for my self to see where exactly the market was at, I was told, I was to high. since this has happened a few times before and I was beaten by more than half.

I just thought I would see. and I'm suprized

4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I think you were right on seasonally you would been around $875. Sound right to me for my area.

5. davewh

davewh Member

Hey thanks for the insight, I really was starting to think I was way off base toughest part of this business isnt the plowing at 2;00 am its the quoting.

Cheers,

Dave

6. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Hard to compare churches to businesses. Churches can get a member to do it for free ... wiping your bid off the board.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

what about other non-profits?:rolleyes:....;)

8. davewh

davewh Member

I think I'm goint o forego all Churches and Non-profits for the time being I dont mind making a little to help out, but I cant afford to not make anything.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I did my share of plowing for a non-profit.
    "Good Karma":D I'm not sure if I got any spin off from it or not.
    But I felt better helping out.

This year I passed the torch, see how it works out for the next guy............;)

10. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Hopefully the "good Karma" wears off on the new guy!

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't worry about the lost bids. If the low bidder does a bad job they may end up calling you anyway.

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Churches cry poverty all over the country and want all of the faithful followers to jump off the ends of the earth to help them out. There's very little worse than organizations expecting that charity is the norm. BUSINESS is the rule; charity is an exception to the rule

13. davewh

davewh Member

Very well said I agree.

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

nice experiment... remember its a church... im not saying alwasy... but alot of times, the church has a member that belongs to it , that does it for VERY cheap , as a favor to the church cummunity. I know here there is a big one that a local guy does, and i thik his number is much more than 50 bucks

oh , as far as non- for profits? i would bid on them , guess what 90% of hospitals are non pro, and they pay big dollars normally

15. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

$175 for an entire month of plowing no matter how much snow? Do you mean to tell me that you cannot find any other possible way to make $175 in one day of plowing?????

16. davewh

davewh Member

tymusic
    Of course I can, I was just venting my suprise at how low some people will actually go, I would not be content with a price like that nor would i saty in business, However I have noticed a big adjustment in quotes this year I guess everyone is scrambling for business.

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Dave find something that pays per push. This per month stuff sounds bogus to me. There has to be a way for you to make money everytime it snows, not loose money if you get 20 storms in a month. Even if it snowed 7 times in a month, are you still making money plowing that lot for $25?????

18. davewh

davewh Member

You know funny you mentioned that, I was just thinking that exact thing, charge per push, I'm just not sure how to make it sound economical when I'm giving my pitch. But I think your absolutely right.
    We do alot of residentials for a one time fee of 500.00 to 600.00 per season, unlimited plows at a 2" trigger so far its worked out great. I'm thinking that anything larger than a driveway should be quoted the way you mentioned. Thanks for reccomedation it makes so much more sence.

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

One Time Fee????? Unlimited Plowing???? You can start by taking those two lines out of your equasion. "Oh Hi Mrs. Jones, the cost to plow your driveway will be $20 per 3" of snowfall, with a 6" minimum price at all times. For every 3" after 6", you will be billed $20.
    6" = $40
    9" = $60
    12" = $80

20. davewh

davewh Member

Just a quick question re the per push amount, For the average consumer do you think that may be a little confusing for them, I only say that because who decides where your at 2" 6" 9" etc. but i guess with that way of quoting you have to document everything for them. but it sounds like a much better way to earn an income.