1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems problems problems with western plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordsup04, Dec 30, 2009.

1. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

Long story short i got a 84 f250 desiel and i have a western plow with the mark IIIa pump

first problem controls in truck won't work i replaced solinoid if i have someone go left and right it will when i jump it.... any ideas ????

next problem is there a secret to getting all the air out of the fluid it will only pick it up till ram tigtens up

anythoughts

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

buy a snow sport plow, lmao no hydraulics at all, lol... but i have no idea

3. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

on a budget....

4. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Is this unit new to you?

Is the single wire from the controller connected to the solenoid?

Weak lift could be a bad pump or need to adjust the lift valve.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf pg 31

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If you jump across the two big terminals on the solenoid, you might have a bad solenoid. Before you jump the gun try these first

A) try swapping controllers

B) there is a brown/red wire from the controller to the solenoid, check to make sure it is on a small terminal(by itself), and tight. Check to see if the wore is not cut or grounding out between the fire wall.

C) the black/red wire to the solenoid small terminal (must be by itself) must be grounded to the negative side of the battery. Also it must be grounded with the negative cable (plow side) to the pump frame.

D) check the connections at the truck and plow harness connector to make sure (A) no broken pins. (B) no dirt on the prongs (plow side), or no dirt in the holes (truck side). (C) have someone wiggle both harness (truck and plow connected) while your moving the controller to see if there is any broken wire or wires in the harness itself (especially truck side).

E) check the 6amp fuse for power

F) if you change the fluid, hopefully you clean the screen, and use brake cleaner and a air gun to clean the inside the pump housing.

Finally,to get the air out of the system (using a floor jack underneath the blade), make sure the fluid is up to level. By hand, push the plow blade to the left slowly. Wait about 30 seconds, then swing the blade to the right slowly. Wait another 30 seconds, and swing the blade straight slowly. Then check the fluid to make sure the fluid is up to level. Then raise the plow up, 30 seconds, lower the plow. But before you can do that, If you have a electrical problem, it has to be repair first.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

i have read anything i can find and on my model all i see is two cables running to the pump and one black wire running to the solinoid

7. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

yes it is connected

8. twinman326

It could be the contacts in the controller. Look at the pump contacts, and make sure they are making contact.

Do you have a red jumper(or a jumper wire) from the top post to a small terminal on the solenoid? If so check it to see if the end is broken or rust?

check to make sure your levels are traveling correctly (make sure the cables are moving)

Grounds are very important.. They might look good but rust can stop them from making a good connection. The solenoid also should be grounded as well

Look at pages 4-1 thru 4-7 in the PDF. 4-1 has a troubling shooting section
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf

9. twinman326

I know you mention you change the solenoid. But you can have a bad one or the wrong solenoid

Here is a diagram explaining how to test the solenoid and telling the possibilities if it could be the controller, or the solenoid. takes 5-10 of your time. Don't over look nothing..Check and clean the grounds, even the one at the pump..

Test (look at the red boxes) From pages 5-1 show you how to rebuild

relcable.jpg

Extra duty (that what they call it) solenoid western #56131

relcable.jpg

10. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

I have a western cable operated pump also. i am new to all this but when i first installed this plow on my truck it would do exactly as yours is. what i did is remove the two covers where the cables go into the pump. then i had a friend jump the solinoid and worked the cables with a screwdriver and it started working great. mite be worth a try for you.

11. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

still no luck with the plow im about ready to give up any last thoughts

12. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

why did you have to jump the solinoid mine goes up already if i jump the solinoid

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

first, does the motor run when you go left right and up? i assume so. i bet you have cable issues. pull the covers off the cable control. dont loosen the cables where they go into the boxes. after the covers are off pull the cable end from the stud. have someone run the control and move the levers by hand with pliers. what happens?

14. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

are you talking about at pump or in control it self im wondering if my problem is in the control itself i need more advice on getting air out of pump

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

at the pump. on the front of the truck. were the cable is attached to the control lever. under the covers.

all of the air in the universe will not make it fail left right up and down.

16. vader43

vader43 Junior Member

i had the same problem i adjusted the control cables and everything works fine now...if the cables don't push / pull the cam behind the cover enough it will not lift the blade very fast if at all.. same with the left right..

17. hammer1986

hammer1986 Junior Member

I just mounted a cable system after my myer pump failed. i replaced the cables and the contacts in the joystick. it was a pain in the ass just to get the plow to function semi normal! how do i get it to work like new?

18. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

my joystick was not hooked up to the solenoid at the time.

19. twinman326

Did you check the ground wire from the controller to see if it broken somewhere in the casing?

20. fordsup04

fordsup04 Member

UPDATE alright when you jump the solinoid and move the controller LEFT AND RIGHT in the truck it works great WHEN THE CONTROLLER IS IN THE MIDDLE AND U JUMP THE SOLINOID THE PUMP GOES UP ANYONE HAVE ANYY THOUGHTS