1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems =Money

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Jul 12, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I received a call from a friend who wanted me to give him an estimate on a Vet Hospital.The layout is the difficulty.The property has a L shape ,with parking areas on the 1 side with a 10 car parking area.The other side there is a 8 car parking area on the other side of the building.The entrance is at the corner of two main roads and there is an additional entrance with a 35 deg grade coming off the one road.The biggest problem is the placement of the snow and how tight the area is.There is also a 3 car spot to backdrag too. I think because of the difficulties of snow placement,tight space,unusual layout and building obstacles it should take 30-40 minutes.At 125 an hr 80-90 seems reasonable.Do others have these kind of plowing jobs and what light can you shed for me on this, price, problems etc. Thanks Dave.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I used to work for the VA up here in Maine till I retired three years ago. I can tell you that he can be getting himself into a can of worms. They will expect very high standards of services. Make sure your friend gets a Request for Proposal from the Contracting Officer, examines it very closely and is able to meet EVERY item on it. Then contact his insurance agent to make ABSOLUTELY SURE he has coverage for every contingency. Basing his rate on the usual method using how many hours for push and times $125/hr is not the way to go. He'll need to figure how many and what types of equipment is needed; will he need to truck snow off site; will he need to maintain certain areas to a higher standard (generally building entrances, walkways, street crossings, etc). He'll probably need to have personnel on site for several hours; both for varying start/quit times. He may need to address tracking into areas, unless it stipulates that janitorial will take care of that. It may stipulate that he have personnel on-site from the beginning of snowfall throughout to cleanup after cessation of snowfall. Ambulance entrances/parking is another area to pay particular attention.

VA's are government agencies and particularly prone to lawsuits.

3. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Sorry, I meant a Veterinary Hospial.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:eek:

One of those "right answer to another question". That's what I hear teachers are supposed to say to students who give a wrong answer.:dizzy:

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

without seeing it personally it's tough to guess, but your title is right, the more work the more $$
    Make absolutly sure there is a plan in place for snow removal because if you run out of places to put the snow mid season- well, you don;t want to be caught with your pants down so to speak.