1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems hooking up

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PLOWINHD, Dec 7, 2009.

PLOWINHD Member

Hey everyone, I seem to be the only one who has any trouble hooking up to their smart hitch.. I just got my first plow this year, an 8'2 power V-Xt. When the dealer installed it I thought I'd think ahead and ask him to set it up at ballast height (when the rear is squatted a bit) I have had nothing but trouble hooking this thing up, I've even driven up on a couple 2X8s to try and simulate the added height up front. I can hook it up eventually but with much frustration and force on driving into the plow. Also, these little spring clips...are they designed to keep the pins out of the holes until they meet the truck mount?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the torsion springs hold the attaching pins out until you hit them with the truck mount.

And thats part of the trick, when you drive into the mount do so with enough force to push the plow a few inches and then stop and apply the parking brake, do not allow the truck to move backward thus lessening the tension against the plow. This not only keeps the mount held firmly in the plow receivers but also squares up the plow to the truck...which is usually the #1 reason guys have so much trouble getting the pins to pop into place. The plow isn't square with the truck.

But if you're having issues with the torsion springs holding the pins out that would be a good reason also so you need to address that first.

PLOWINHD Member

Thanks B&B, You've been a great help to me as I've endeavoured out on my own for this season, both this post and countless ones I've found through searching. I spent some time hooking up today and found that on gravel I can line up without question I just need to hold the pin out as I switch the "ON" on te drivers side. I'll have to replace that torsion spring right away. On the smooth concrete floor of my shop however I can't seem to push hard enough on it to line it up, any suggestion for a material to place underneath the V plow so that it slides less?
  4. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

i just drive into my plows. while i am holding the switch up i flip the pin to the on side. then i flip the passenger one as well. give the switch a little jolt and its on.

never had a problem hooking or unhooking my plow other then me not setting the foot to the right height.

i normaly paint the foot black or red or what ever color youd like to see which hole i need to put the foot in.
  5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

if i'm not placing it on level ground , i have a problem unhooking and hooking . freeze thaw cycle is in effect on my drive . what a PIT .

i did notice driving into it a few feet does line her up better. next time when i unhook , i'm keeping it grounded instead of dropping it and unhooking . ba;lls
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

09dieselguy, I assume you are referring to a straight blade? I have yet to see a V blade with a foot on it. I could be totally wrong but thats just my experience.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sliding forward on the floor shouldn't cause an issue. In fact if it's set up correctly having it slide actually makes it even easier to attach. Sounds more like the height is too far off.

When you pull up to the plow, as the J hooks on the mount go under the cross bar on the receivers do they actually hit the cross bars as they go under or are they a reasonable distance below them?
  8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Have you ever measured ur push beam height with balist? I beleive it should be 14 1/2" to center of hole? sounds like ur push beam is set to low if you are able once using boards under ur tires!
  9. Deco

Deco Senior Member

thought it was 15 1/2 ?

PLOWINHD Member

I've got lots of room above the j hooks, if anything I'm touching on the top of the j hooks on the inside.
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's the problem right there then. It's far too high.