1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems Hooking up Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by trfrench, Oct 22, 2008.

1. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

I have a 7'6 boss on an 05 chevy 1500 that I am having a terrible time hooking up. It does not have the smart hitch system. Last witnter I had only minor problems, with it being my first year and all. But I just spent 2 hours trying hook up my plow and colud not get it on. Now the the light tower won't even push up and it would earlier. Any help, advice or hints would greatly be appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check out the connections ? Controller in float. Is the plow lined up straight ? are you lock pin out it can lock in.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you hook up the power first or did you just try to push up the head gear?

If you hooked up the power put it in float,
    unhook push up the head gear.
    I push up the headgear and drive in first before plunging in (if you did that),

Chances are the seals have dried out a little over the summer and are sticking to the rams, Sooo you will really need to give it a good shove and push.
    On my old RTII I then use a customized 2x4 to hold it in place while i drive her in.

4. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

A few more ?'s then. The plow is sitting on uneven ground how would be the best way to handle that? Should I lubricate the rams? I just put Timbrens on front too, would that make a difference. Thank for your help.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you have to get the floor jack out.

6. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

I did that and used a diggin bar for some extra leverage.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As long as your plow mount is in the 15" range adding the timbrens should not be to much of a problem.

uneven ground is. up hill lie ,down hill lie.. does not help ether.
    Like gv mentioned a jack may be necessary to level it out.
    But this it tricky too as you need to block up the wing not the frame on the plow. as it needs to move to mount it.

You see the problem is I don't know your ability to move this plow with out being hooked up to it.
    I have ended up hooking a chain up to mine and pulling it to a level area .
    but this can lead to big problems if you are not careful you can damage the plow.
    and you need to get it back to the wings retracted position,
    a big bar may be needed.

I have pushed the plow around with the truck also before trying to get it o.also

It needs to be in the wings back position.
    Did you get the head gear to move yet.

I know it can be tricky when they stick as it just wants to move at the trip hinge.
    It will be tricky to get any lube into the seals the outer seal that you see is only a wiper
    (it cleans off debris off of the ram.)

Get it level stand behind it (truck side) grab on to the bar between the lights and pull,
    maybe even standing on the plow hitch.
    Get your buddy to push from the other side.

One more idea that may help or do nothing is to pull up to the plow hook up your power and plug it in.
    Do NOT move the wings forward they need to be all the way back.

Hit the float. tap it just a little to try to pick it up then put it back in to float. Now try to push up the head gear up again.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

Thank you very very much Grandview SnoFarmer for all your help. I got my plow hooked and moved this evening. While it was on uneven ground I noticed some hydraulic fluid leaking. It did not seem to leak when I got it to level ground. Could the uneven ground cause the leak or could it be something else?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How uneven was the ground?
    Where was the fluid coming from? Out from under the pump cover I assume?

It takes a rather steep incline before they'll actually leak fluid out of the internal vent.

10. trfrench

trfrench Junior Member

Yes it was coming out from under the pump cover. What does this mea?

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Got her on :drinkup:

fluids

Reattach your plow if you took it off.
    Remove the cover, look around the fill cap is it wet?
    Check the fluid level.
    Wipe up the spilled fluid.

Next with the cover off.
    Have someone run the plow as you watch for any leaks.
    be careful not to get hit by the plow.

It may have just come out of the vent in the fill cap, this is normal.