1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems hooking up plow

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by davedub69, Feb 21, 2007.

1. davedub69

davedub69 Junior Member
    from pa

hello all, i have 97 ford f-350 with a curtis 7.5 plow on it and i always seem to have a problem hooking up the plow, i can never get the latches to latch very easily!! am i doing something wrong? should i bascially run the truck into the mounts? plese any help would be appreciated

thanks
    dave

2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

make sure the plow is raised high enough with the leg, then hit it. The truck should rise just a bit when you drive up on the plow. Sounds like it isn't going into the channels on the mount, going beneath them. Go to this thread and follow the suggestions that were given to me when I had that same trouble. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43649

Don

3. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I agree with Easy. After lining everything up properly I make sure the curved hook on the latches are relatively high on the catch bar. If the bar hits on the bottom third of the hook it seems to drive in much easier.

Pete

4. dbreault

dbreault Member

...another tip is to make sure the plow is in "float" when you remove it also after you lower the jack stand push on the chain a little to take some of the pre-load tension off of the headgear (lights, etc.) this will give you a little more flexibility when loading it on the next time. ;)

5. makplow

makplow Senior Member

That was my problem until I figgured it out. Now it hooks up like a piece of cake!

Mak,

6. viperay

viperay Junior Member

I'm new to the forum but like this Curtis plow. One thing I found is that if you leave your plow outside and try to hook up to during/after a snow storm make sure the flat edges/ forks that actually slide into the receiver under the truck are clean with now snow or ice on them. If I don't clean the snow off the two forks, when you drive into the plow the snow compacts oin these two forks. The compacted snow doesn't allow the plow to lift enough and engage the locking pins. It doesn't take anything more than a 1/8" of snow or ice to screw this up. also check the receiver on the truck this can pack up with snow also.

Just a tip i discovered when it was 10 below.

7. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

Another thing to consider is to make sure there is enough slack in the chain. After i got a new chain and extended it 2 or 3 links the latches were much easier to engage

8. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

my recent problem is about the same.
    i tried to hook up my plow with the sander in the bed. in turn raised the front of the truck making the it difficult for the latches to go in place.

i keep on of those 4' jacks handy always. what i done was jacked up on the frame on the back of the blade they clicked right in to place! slick as s..it.