1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems!! Help!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Oct 21, 2003.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

My 2002 2500 started making a grinding/rubbing noise in the front end. Tire's not rubbing on anything, I notice it mostly when im making a slow turn, I got under the truck tonight and didn't see any visible problems? anyone got an idea? That and my trans is acting up, it's shifting really hard, and seems to struggle to find the right gear, and it's also taching out, when Im getting on the express-way and I put it to the floor it won't shift up and redlines the tach, then the rev limiter kicks in and I gotta let off the gas completly and it takes a few seconds to straighten up. Trans fluid is fine, only has 12,000 miles on trans fluid and filter. And I noticed that since it's started doing this it seems like the truck has gotten real sluggish and has lost some power. It's going to the dealer on thursday, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what it may be? The truck has the 5.9 V8 in it with the 4.10 rear end and only has 24,000 miles on it.

THANKS for any help!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

possibly

a bad u joint or the vacuum switch on top of the trans for the front axle activation failed . Wait for Wyldman to respond .

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds like maybe a bad wheel bearing.It's a one piece sealed unit with hub.Check for any play,or roughness when turning.

The trans may have a stuck kickdown.Make sure it's moving freely at both ends.They will sieze up down at the lever where it goes into the tranny.Other than that,you may have to get it scanned,to see if there is any electronic problems.It could be a number of things inside the tranny.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The transmission is likely in default mode.It will start out in 3rd gear when this happens,and will not shift to OD sometimes.Do you have a check engine light? Try shutting it off for a second,then restarting,see if works ok for a few seconds. I suspect the governor soleniod or governor pressure sensor is bad, As for the grinding,get the trans fixed and see if it still does it.