1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems encountered while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by makplow, Dec 27, 2005.

1. makplow

makplow Senior Member

What are some of the problems we`ve all encountered while plowing. :eek:
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Meyer E-47 gets stuck with the blade iin the up positon. Only half of my route was done. Took me an hour to get it back down.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As many would tell you. A valve, put the plow in the float down, check the black wire from the controller for power if it has power, then is it magnetic. If it's magnetic, does the valve work. If it stopped then started working again change the fluid it was probably ice. Change the fluid. Check the meyer link at top of the page and download the trouble shooting flowchart.
  4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I get lonely alot, then I tend to pick up a few hookers to keep me company while I plow...:rolleyes:
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Now THAT"S FUNNY! That totally made my day. I plow a few strip clubs and have had to take strippers home at night. I'd ask them Q's about whay the got into the biz. U'd be amazed at some of the answers I'd get. So far I haven't met a single stripper that was 'right' in the head:rolleyes:

Ah, and to answer the original post, I've blown my trans twice in the same small lot in two different years.
  6. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I can see how it could be quite a problem. BOTH OF THEM!!!!! :) :nod:
  7. makplow

makplow Senior Member

A few weeks ago. During the big storm I was plowing the streets in my city. I came up to this 4 way intersection with a set of lites, and a fairly steep grade. there was a coors beer truck trying to turn the corner and got hung up. I sat there for about a minute while he was spinning away. With the traffic building up. I said to my self now what!!! I really didn`t want to, but I raised my plow leaving the pile of snow, and gave him a push. He was so happy, I bet if I followed him to his next delivery. I bet he would have given me a case. Any way I hurried around the block so I could pick up the snow I left behind. :eek: :dizzy: :drinkup:
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well so far this year its been a new control pad (Meyers, it was stuck down in the middle of a parking lot), a new tranny, new ram seals (blew out the night before a big storm) and new hoses just to be on the safe side. lol I hope I'm good for awhile:nod: So far this year I'm $2300.00 in the hole.
  9. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

One large goverment building that I do just had some fresh pavement patches put in around back, My plow doubles up as an excavator when im in this particular area of the property. I hate it! I have a western 8' pro plus, the plow is in float mode when this happens as well. I figure a couple more times i plow there will be nothing left of this patch job. Another thing is people calling harassing me, They expect me to be waiting at their property so that when the first snowflake falls i can start plowing. I'm sure everyone has dealt with this at one time or another. There's more but i don't have all day.
  10. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

just yesterday I took out whole side of truck on a barrier , then lost a plow marker, then center bolt broke then smashed a plow light. good day huh.
  11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im telling you man, its something with the 94 F150s. Look at my old threads, I went through quite a few trannys, rear main, rear end, and all sorts of other crap in the matter of a few months, I had one hell of a time with mine. Dont take this the wrong way, fords are good trucks, but theres something cursed with the 94 f150's, you should sell it before your repairing the rear end, front end, and then after you get that stuff fixed and think its all good, the hubs will go. You should cut your losses now, before you spend $6000 on repairs in 6 months on a truck that's only worth $3500.

But hopefully all your problems are fixed and you can start making money now, and all the problems I had wont happen to you.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You laugh, I have on two separate occasions had a hooker get into my vehicle....

I've told the full stories before, I think, but the short version is that one got into my car while I was stopped at a red light once...

The other flagged me down on a country back road while I was out plowing at 4am... you know, you figure they are stranded motorists or something waaaaay out there.... :dizzy:
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Parked cars or the idiot that parks in your back up lane while you are plowing.
  14. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I had a guy pull in right behind me. I backed up so he couldnt open his door. The backup lights on the corner of my bed were shining in his face. He got the picture and moved. Heres your sign!
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

16. snow blind

snow blind Junior Member
    from MASS.

Well first big storm here and half way through my 4x4 accuater let go and I had no 4x4, but had enough weight to atleast finish what I was doing but then my cross under pipe let go and I have a diesle so lost all power to my turbo and very noisie. Have replaced cross under pipe and went with the posi-lock engagement system works perfect instant 4x4 and stays in 4x4 with key off nice with being a chevy duelly and all. Lots of luck to the rest of ya.
  17. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

crazy "bird lady"

I was plowing a lot for a second time that day. A crazy lady had taken some bread out of the dumpster and spread it on ground. She told me to NOT plow the lot, as she was feeding the birds. Then she stood in front of the plow so I could not plow. She did not own the lot. I called police then plowed lot when police came.

We named her "Bird Lady". She never bothered us again.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about "Birdbrain lady"?
  19. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Well I've taken out three mail boxes and had the auger motor burn up on the spreader, the kubota I use to load the spreader blew an o-ring on the hydraulic pump at 11:30 at night during the ice storm!! Has anyone ever had to cut an o-ring with a pair of scissor and a sheet of rubber!! That sucked!
    But its all good for now.
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

No, but I did make a thermostat gasket out of the top of a oil filter box and pocket knife before.