1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems...and a question!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The_Burning_Rom, Jan 31, 2003.

1. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Well..Wisconsin finally got some decent snow last night..almost 6 inches! I was so pumped to plow this morning. I was having fun too...that is until I saw my cutting edge laying in the driveway! :realmad: All the bolts that I had replaced about a month ago had snapped right off :realmad: I'm eating dinner right now, and then I'm gonna have to go get some stronger ones from a different store (not Fleet Farm again). Sorry about that..I just had to vent! On to my question. I have a E-47 pump on my meyer. Can I replace it with the next higher model..and E-60 (I think)? If I can, what else would I need to make the switch?
    Thanks!

2. long0

long0 Senior Member

There is no problem changing the E-47 with an E-60. Everthing will bolt up and plug in the same.

Do you already have the E-60? Meyer came out with a new pump the E-57, which is an E-47, but with an E-60 motor. No more problems with water getting in the motor. Meyer sells a conversion kit for about $300. Might be something to check out before you go and buy an E-60.

Meyer part number 15869

Andy

3. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

no matter where you buy bolts be sure to buy grade 8. these are the high strength bolts. I know that places like TSC handle both but you need to watch what bins you pick from.

4. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Thanks for the info! I don't have an E-60 yet, so I'll have to look into this conversion kit. My E-47 has about had it though..so something needs to be done.

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your cutting edge. I would go to a machine shop and get some grade 8 bolts, or even go to Meyer and order a set of cutting edge bolts they are only $15 or so. As for the E-47/E-60 swap, its a piece of cake. All the wires go on the same way. I bought two E60s and am very happy with them. They are faster, and don't draw as much off the charging system as the well used E47s did.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Swapping to the E57 includes a new pump and motor. This can be done right on the mount and will dramactically improve the unit. Make sure you completely flush the whole system and it will be like having a new powerpack for $300.

7. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Factory Meyer cutting edge bolts are grade 5. Ignorant, I no.:nono: :drinkup:

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Are you sure the bolts snapped off? I have seen more than a few loosen and fall out. Whether using locknuts, nuts and lockwashers, impact guns or torque wrenches. In a pinch I replaced some bolts with grade five two years ago and they are still holding fine.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've always used Grade 8's to be safe, but I've been told Grade 5 works fine. Grade 8s will have 6 lines on the heads, the grade 5's will have 3. If there are none, it's probably Grade 2 and not good for this use.

10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

If they're carriage bolts, and don't have 3 lines 1 at 12o'clock, and the others at 5 and 7 o'clock, in other word if the head of the bolt doesn't have any markings then they are grade 3 which is the most common carriage bolt carried by most retailers, and they won't last more then a couple of plows without snapping off ( been there done that!). Make sure they are grade 5.

Bill

11. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

That happened to me also a few weeks ago. I went to put my plow on before a storm and I realized the edge was lose so I pulled up to the shop to tighten them and all the carrage bolts where lose and stripped. So I went to the hardware store and got grade 8 bolts (not carraige bolts, the holes where stripped out) and then I ground the old bolts off. They've worked fine so far.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like to use regular hex head bolts over carriage bolts. Easier to tighten and remove then carriage bolts which end up spinning in the holes.

13. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Bill by the sounds of your 6 year Fisher V report you should be runnin grade 20's with the damn edge welded on to boot:D

14. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Yup..I'm sure they snapped off. The heads blew right off. I spun the nuts off by hand an punched what was left, out with a hammer. I had to drill one of them out though :( When I was tightening em down with the impact wrench a few weeks back, I ended up snapping the head off of one of them. That should've told me something right there...but I just figured it was a faulty bolt. I replaced em with Grade 5 carriage bolts. Someone said to try grade 8, but I couldn't find any grade 8 carriage bolts. Works great now..plowed for 5 hours last night. :D And they're predicting about 6 inches of snowfall tomorrow :D :D

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

With regular carriage bolts it does not surprise me that they snapped. With Grade 5 you shold not snap them with a impact gun unless putting way more torque then needed. I think you will be fine with those. Just make sure that you check them after a little bit of plowing. I like to have spares in the trucks just in case.