1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems after new ram

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Slate, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Slate

Slate Member

So I just put a new angle ram 56709w on my unimount MVP because the old ram was leaking though the packing nut. The ram was pitted and rusted so I replaced it instead of repaired it. Put everything back together added oil and went to test it. The only thing I can do for sure is move the pass side wing in and out and move it into VEE and Scoop mode. I can't lift the blade and I can't move the driver side wing separately. When I put it in scoop it'll extend out but not all the way. Any ideas?

2. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Might have air trapped in there

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Air and low fluid

4. Slate

Slate Member

Would that cause the lift ram to not move

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No or low fluid. Really?
    Does it sound like it's whining? Gurgling?

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

there was quite a procedure to follow on those to keep the fluid from foaming up after draining and refilling. It involved running each function on the ground several times before trying to raise the blade.
    you might just need to give it time to settle down and then try that. might have to top it off too if you haven't done that since the cylinders filled back up. but do that with the blade down and the wings all the way back.

7. Slate

Slate Member

I wasn't meaning just low fluid. I know the reservoir holds just enough fluid so the plow can go into scoop while it is off the ground. So why would I be able to run scoop and control one wing independently and not control one ram to pull up the blade? I thought by cycling through the modes it would work the air out of the lines.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it's a matter of air in the system you just need to keep working it and then checking the level a few times. I find that it takes three times through all the functions to get the air out. Make sure when you fill / check the level that the blade is down and in V (wings both all the way back.)

9. Slate

Slate Member

When I filled it the blade was down and all the way in V mode. I'll keep add and running through it. Thanks.

10. Slate

Slate Member

I added more fluid and tried running it through some cycles. I can move it into scoop all the way but I still can't lift the blade or move that driver side by itself. However, if I move the blade to scoop and I try to lift the blade up, the wings fold back in.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have valve or electrical problems with valve coils. Is it possible you allowed dirt to get into the hoses when you changed the ram? This could jam up the valves and cause erratic problems.

12. Slate

Slate Member

Anything is possible. I was doing it in a garage, but we weren't exactly rolling them around. We cleaned the ends but had the hole facing down so debris wouldn't fall in the tube.

13. Slate

Slate Member

Alright, so everything works now. I've been playing with it for the past three days. Hit the lift button right after work and it jumped up. Is it possible for those cartridge solenoids to sieze up? Maybe since it had enough oil sitting around it for a while it started working again? Thanks for the help. Now I get to trace down my lighting problem from another thread.