1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by steeve34, Dec 22, 2009.

1. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

Ok I'm looking after 47 private driveway and another 10 commercial one of the commercial is only the sidewalk about 900' of sidewalk at a strip mall. On 300' of that the roof is dripping forming ice has soon the sun it the roof melting it. I do not have a contract with the owner and get paid by the hours he is suppling the salt. On that 300' I applied 35pds of salt in the morning (07:00 AM) and another 20pds in the afternoon (03:00 PM) by that time where the roof drip we get about 2" of ice. Not sure how to tell the owner of the building I can't look after that building anymore I'm scare someone will fall on that ice and end up in a court case.

Should I tell the owner I can't look after that building for safety reason and give him 10 - 14 day's to find some else?

F250 super duty Meyer
    Dodge Ram 1500 Blizzard
    Troy Bilt 48" Blower
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What does your contract say about canceling? If nothing send a certified letter with return signature canceling all services.
  3. steeve34

steeve34 Junior Member

The contract does not mention anything about cancelling.

4. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

I'd approach the owner and just talk to him about it asap. This is major issue, you are a professional, and he may have an 'inhouse' solution.
  5. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Not sure about Cad. laws-but in the States a owner is assuming liaibility for allowing the ontinunce of a know hazzard. If property is as stated, gutters are the simple solution. I have been thru this a number of times with condo's and apts. Spend 30 mil. on a building-but don't spring for 6 grand for gutters. Landlords-go figure!
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to talk to the owner first thing tomorrow morning. Sounds like there are some fundamental problems with drainage and water control to begin with, but regardless the sidewalk needs attention to manage the ice.
  7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

2 words for any plowing contract:

Indemnification Clause.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Talk to the owner first