1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with western unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

So just a quick history, I bought my truck and it had a western unimount frame. I found an 8' plow that some guy was selling and I bought it. The only thing was I didnt have a controller so I took his word that everything worked but made the mistake of not testing it. Anyway I got a controller the other day and Im having some problems with the plow.

The pump sounds like its trying to work but wont lift the plow or even just the bar if I take the chain off. As far as left or right it does jerk an inch or two to the right but not much more than that, I think partly because the plow is on the ground. Its got fluid so I dont know where to start checking.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's running the motor but not opening any of the valves when any function is pressed, either a bad controller or missing coil ground wire (black/orange) on the coils. Time to start checking under the valve cover on the pump. :waving:

3. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

ok, is there anyway to check the controller?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not directly (easily). Instead, use the coils checking the correct one for magnetism when a specific function is pressed on the controller. Just need a helper and something metal (screwdriver for example)...oh and the manual helps too so here it is in it's entirety also. Unimount manual

5. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

ok so after reading the manual I've narrowed it down to a bad #3 valve, I think. According to the manual #3 is responsible for raising and angling left, both functions are not working. I can go right and down.

Where do I go from here?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which method did you use to determine it's the S3 Jayson? The mag test?

7. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

first a check light to make sure the controller was sending the signal, then the mag test to make sure the coil was working then I used the chart in the manual and the trouble shooting chart based on the symptoms. So based on that I assumed that the valve was stuck closed. And also when I pushed the controller to the left the plow went right, which makes sense since both 2 and 3 would need to be open but if only 2 was open the plow went right.

plow6.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well done. :nod:

Likely the valve itself is the culprit then. Simple enough to remove it for a look see. May just be stuck...but usually when they stick once they're unreliable from there on out so a replacement is wise.

9. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

also

Also based on this

plow3.jpg

10. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Yeah once I saw that chart it all clicked, it took a while to get to that point, but man that manual is awesome, Im gonna print it out and put it in a binder.

My dealer should have that valve or be able to get it right?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If he's worth his weight in plow parts he should. :D

12. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

any idea what that will run me?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should be $70 or so.

14. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

B&B saved another day. B&B helped me a bunch last year with my Meyer, glad to know he works with Westerns too since I have switched plows. Keep his cantact info handy, he is a great help.

15. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Absolutely this has been driving me nuts for four days. I can sleep well tonight

16. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

B&B is the man for sure!

17. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

changed the valve, fluid and filter and gasket. Works great now. Thanks for the help

18. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

one thing Ive noticed is it drops really fast when you put it down, my MM on my old truck went down softer. Is that normal? My friends 7'6" unimount also drops softer/slower I know this is an 8 foot but it just seems fast to me almost violent lol.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Turn the drop speed screw down to your liking then. It's on the valve block, should be shown in the manual.

20. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

i looked didnt see anything by that name is it the pump relief valve screw? or I read something about the quill ?