1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Western Uni-mount electrical

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mgravlin, Jan 19, 2002.

1. mgravlin

mgravlin Junior Member

Can any one help me? I bought a 1994 chevy 2500 with a western uni-mount plow on it about 8 weeks ago, it worked fine when we got are first snow here in Michigan, but now I'm get a servere power drain when I try to raise our turn it. I had the truck's electrical check my the dealer and they stated it was fine. any ideas?

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Not an expert on this subject by any means, but a couple quick ideas come to mind:

It worked fine before, has it gotten a fair bit colder since, and was the hydraulic fluid fresh or is it anyone's guess how old it is? Because if it is old fluid, moisture may be in the system and freezing up, causing the pump to have to work a LOT harder. If you have access to a heated garage/shop, leave it in overnight to thaw out and see if it works properly then.

Along the same line, is it the proper fluid?

If there is any doubt about the age or type of fluid, drain and refill with fresh, proper stuff:

Originally posted by DaveK (thanks Dave)

This is from Westerns website:

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) DEXRON®III to -10° F (-23° C)

WESTERN® High Performance Fluid to -25° F (-32° C)

Texaco 1537 Aircraft Hydraulic Oil for below -25° F (-32° C)
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Mike check the battery cables going to the pump and make sure that it hasn't rubbed through any where. A quick way to check for shorted cables would be to "carefully" remove the postive cable from the power unit and operate the control and see if the truck has a power draw. If not remove the motor from the power unit and take a screwdriver and try to turn the shaft on the motor, this will at least let you know that the motor is free or not. Try to turn the pump shaft a few times it may be fairly hard to turn do to the fact it's trying to put out pressure. Try to operate the motor off of a good power source, when testing hook up the ground to the motor base last so you don't damage the treads on the motor. If it doesn't run go get yourself a new genuine Western motor and follow the new directions as to where to hook up the ground cable. Servicing the fluid and filter in the power unit is a yearly "must". and ice clogging the filter on a cold days is a real problem and will slow or stop the operation of any power unit. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the housing and one at the base of the cylinder. Don't forget to drain the angle cylinders too. Good luck with your repairs.
  4. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

You might try a couple things. If it is a true "Power Drain", check the plow selenoid. I have seen them go bad and "melt". If it is O.K., check all your power connections under the hood and also the connection at the pump motor. You must also check your "plug" connections between your plow and the truck. If the pump is running slow but the power drain is not excessive, do by all means drain all fluid and change the filter. These things clog up very easily if your system is contaminated at all. GOOD LUCK
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2002
  5. MrGreenjeans

MrGreenjeans Junior Member

power drain

mgravlin: I know it has been a while since you wrote about your problem but I just saw the message and had and insight. I have a '95 GMC K3500 dump with an electric hoist. A couple years ago I was having problems with the engine stalling when I would go to operate the bed. After much checking it was determined that I had a weak ground path between the engine (where the alternator is mounted and grounded) and the rest of the truck. I added a ground wire from my battery to the frame to solve the problem. All this is to say that you may not have a problem with the plow itself but rather a secondary problem that the additional drain of the plow is highliting.

Good luck
  6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I had a similar problem and spent mucho $$$ tracking it down. Best advice - change plow fluid and replace with low-temp/premium stuff - change the pump filter. That should do it (flush the system with kerosene if you can). My problem ended up being water in the hydro - system and a 3 cent o-ring.
  7. Mac

Mac Member

Most likely the screen inside the oil sump is full of crap. To fix this you must first drain the oil. Then remove the motor, and take out the pump. (You Only Have To Remove Two Of The Four Bolts Holding Down The Pump) Then clean the screen and the sump with keronse. Also check the distance your ram are extending. The front of the a-frame wears out causeing the ram to hit on the end walls of cyclinder, which cause your seals to fail and drops the crap into your sump. If so you should rebuild the stop block on the a-frame.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2002
  8. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

MAC, You are right!! The stops are very important! I found out the hard way. Nothing seems to clog up the filter like pieces of chrome flaking off the ram.