1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem?? with Western Pro-Poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Feb 3, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a 8' Western Pro-Poly and I've noticed after plowing a big storm that the blade doesn't angle as smooth as it used to. It's real jerky and stops so suddenly when you release the joystick that the truck really shakes. The blade is new and it didn't act like this at first.

Thank you for any advice,

Joel B.
  2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I have noticed the same thing with the joystick. My partner has the joy stick control with a unimount, and it jerks like crazy. If you stick my cab command on it, it is really smooth. Makes me think that it is the joy stick, not the plow.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I have the Uni Mount also with the joystick and yes it does seem a little jerky now that someone brings it up. I always thought thats just how it was. I dont consider it a problem unless I read otherwise here now. I like to move it back and forth a little after pushing a big pile and raising it to make it do that jerking a little to shake off any snow that might be stuck to the plow. I really dont know if its making the snow fall off or not, but I think it looks and sounds cool, LOL. Mike :drinkup:
  4. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Somone hear had brought up the same problem with a meyer, and the difference was the joy stick vs electro pad, I think the conclusion was that the pad sent current to the motor while the valve was closing, (or somthing like that) that made it smother.

just a shot in the dark:waving:
  5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Same here.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I took the same question to my dealer. There was a difference between the stick and the handheld. The hand held did let the plow angle and stop more "freely" both ways are normal depending what control you have. He explained it in technical terms to me but today's starting out like a Monday, and I haven't finished my cup of coffee yet. But in short it is normal
  7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i found the same problem with my westerns.after putting tons of grease on the push frame it helped but after a while it would do the same.i switched over to cab command controls.now its nice and smooth,but it is tuff to get the plow blade to be straight
  8. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

Joel is your plow the ultramount model? I was under the impression that the older models were always a little jerky, but the newer ultramounts have a smoother action and glide to a stop when released. Of course this has nothing to do with the mounts, I am just using that as a reference to old or new.
  9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

In short the problem is explaind as this.

The joysitck has a " hard " stop. The valve shut's but the motor is still spinning to a stop. This makes for a hard stop like slamming a door.

The cab command has a " soft " stop. The motor shuts off before the valve closes and the plow " coasts " to a stop like a storm door closing.

This can get worse over time.

Be happy you don't have a meyer's E60. Some of them will angle left after every operation but drop. Motor coast get's worse as it ages and left angle is the default with no valve's activated.

10. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I had the old style western on my last truck and it seemed to jerk to a stop, but it never bothered me. THe cab command controller i have now is nice, but like Mike9497 said it can be hard to get the blade straight sometimes.
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One other thing about the Cab commander vs joystick. With a joystick just tap the down function, and the blade will free fall. That is why they put the off switch on the side, so that you shut it off during transport to keep you from accidntally dropping the plow at high speeds. However the cab commander you have to hold the down function till the float light comes on. Just an observation.
  12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats very true with the cab command,but i also noticed that when the float light comes on and you go down a steep slope like at the end of a drive thats higher than the road.it won't float down.i think once you hit the down button and it lites up as float it closes the valve.so most of the time the ram is only half way down.so i have to keep my finger on the button when coming up to the drops then the blade goes down.doesn't bother me i still love the cab command.