1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with suburbanite

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by blueline38, Jan 15, 2009.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I asked this question in the equipment repair forum but it went unanswered. Within the past week my plow was slowing down. It would not respond to controls but then sometimes would. Sometimes just turning the controler off and then on solved the problem. Yesterday it stopped responding all together. I went to a local dealer, new to Western but has been installing Boss for years, with the plow. He thought that it was frozen and brought my truck in to change the fluid. A few minutes later he came into the showroom and told me that the motor was shot. ($200.00)
    Today I purchased the pump along with fluid. I left my plow in a heated garage for about four hours before tackling the job. I hooked the plow up to the truck and ta-da the plow worked. It angled fine but it still raised slow. After a couple of raises it would speed up. I changed the fluid and left the old pump on. It angles smoother than it did but it still raises slow sometimes. It dims my lights and actually cuts out my radio when it struggles. Some times it operates fine and still sometimes it doesn't operate at all and for no ryhme or reason it works again.
    I'm lost and confused. Could the motor be bad or is the selonoid going or something in the computer on the plow controls. I don't have time to get it to the shop, not the one I went to yesterday, as we are supposed to get around 3' of snow over the next couple of days! Any ideas and sugestions would be appreciated.
  2. westernbud

westernbud Junior Member
    from ct

check the simple things first,check battery and alternator output if thats ok check ground cables,thats where i would start.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you said motor was shot. did they replace it? then you said today i bought the pump and fluid.
    was the motor bad? if so why the pump?
  4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

My bad, I bought the motor and fluid. I plowed yesterday (over a foot of snow) with no problems so IDK!