1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with spread pattern

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lynx, Dec 13, 2008.

1. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

need help on spread pattern/older swenson spreader.

all salt goes to right side and directly under spinner. any ideas to fix problem.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

can you speed up the spinner? does it have an adjustable plate inside the chute to direct the material R, L, or center?

3. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

yes can increase spinner by increasing engine speed,and yes has plates to direct salt. i have changed these plate positions with no change in pattern and also engine speed didnt seem to help.

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Is the flow control open too much? maybe? If it were you'd get trailing and actually overload the spinner, meaning instead of it casting the salt it's so full already that the spinner is overloaded and the salt is just falling off, or did one or more of the vanes on the spinner break off?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the spinner is clean. Dig out all the crap in the channels. I have sprayed WD 40 with ok results too.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

not the outside plates..the plate on the inside of the chute.. what size spreader is it?

7. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

it is a 2 1/2 yd spreader.i was referring to the inside plates. am going to work on the feed today and see if i can slow down the feed alot.any more suggestions will be appreciated. all vanes appear to be there however i will be cleaning it up today as well and coating it to prevent build up.

8. forestfireguy

Be careful what you coat it with, it may create another problem. Also as far as v-boxes I have only run downeasters, on those the "gate" was kept set at 1-1.5 inches for normal use, this is 1 inch from the top of the drag chain. As I recall the opening is about 10 inches wide and we got a good pattern, may not be the same for yours but should be somewhere to start. Good luck. And a question maybe I should have asked yesterday- straight salt or mix sand/salt or grit/salt ?

9. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

running straight salt. seems my gate has a few issues but i think i managed to correct most of the problem except for opening size still playing with that. its an old spreader and im sure if i make it through this winter ill be doing alot of rebuilding in the spring.

10. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

Gate is closed as far as possible, spread pattern is better and more even on each side, however still leaving way too much salt directly under spinner.......
    thanks for all the help so far.

Any ideas on how to fix this latest problem

11. forestfireguy

You could remove the gate and bolt a piece of metal or stiff rubber on to reduce the space further, downeasters have a rubber strip there, I guess in case it contacts the drag chain there wont be damage. Also be sure the bolt/knob that holds the gate in position actually stays tight enough to keep it where you want it, I've had issues with it creeping open and loosening up.

12. lynx

lynx Junior Member
    from maine

thanks for all the help,when i unload spreader will do some refab on shute door,and go from there.