1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 345HEMI, Mar 16, 2006.

1. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

so with the lack of snow this winter, there hasn't been much plowing. so here's the thing. bought a new 7'6" std duty. now on my fifth hose for an angle ram. they said it was a bad ground, so they have double grounded the motor... oops, 2 more hoses. this plow has very little use, and is not abused in any way at all. how much more can i take with this lemon. now they want to change the pump, and try that. how about a new plow or my friggen money back. needless to say, i'm not happy with this product at all.
    sorry about the rant people, but i want others to know what i'm stuck with.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

is it the same angle cylinder hose? do they break in the same place? just trying to understand what exactly is breaking the hoses. i hope they are able to fix the problem and it is rare to hear about problems with a boss plow. good luck. :)

3. GA73

GA73 Member

dont understand what blowing hoses has to do with the grounds? does the pump keep running?
    i my self have only replaced on hose in 12 years of owning a boss and that one was pinched.

4. 345HEMI

345HEMI Junior Member

the will blow on either side, right on the bottom, about 1 inch above the fitting going into the ram. i don't understand it. waiting for the dealer to call this week, they think boss is going to replace the pump and some electrial stuff. will keep you guys informed.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Is the relief valve not blowing when the angle cylinder fully extends?? I do not see how a pump or electronics could cause the hose to break...

6. GA73

GA73 Member

sounds like a dealer that don't know what there doing. i'd call boss directly and more then lickly they'll solve the problem

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Nextime buy a curtis wesport

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That's helpful.. let's kick him too.

9. PLOWMAN45

its joke joke

10. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Hoses

I had problems with the hoses on my first Boss plow in 1998. I change out all the hoses to braded rather then the stock hoses and never had another problem. Since then its the first thing I do when I buy a new plow. It may be different up here then down there because I plow in some god awful places and in all kinds of terraine but it worked for me.

11. PLOWMAN45

they claim to have the best warranty id make them give me a new setup

12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Warranty

Hey plowman, Boss does have an excellent warrenty. Anyway the compnay I buy from has always done me right. I think the warrenty comes down to who your distributor is more then the company itself. I think that they do have a problem with the hoses though and thats why the first thing I do is change them out. Mind you I plow on some pretty bad roads, little more then cat trail and thats really rough on all the equipment. But I sware by the boss. Had a western one time and nothing but trouble.
    Do you have any suggestion on my heating problem on the high way. If you look at my posts you will see everything I have done to try and correct it. Its strange that on the highway is the only time I have a problem. I can work it to death and no problem but let me get up over 50 and straight through the roof. 96 dodge 1500 with a 360. Steve from Alaska

13. PLOWMAN45

MY next plow setup might be a boss i saw there video looks pretty cool did you thonk about putting a bigger engine cooler in your rig

14. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Plowman

I have the largest cooler I can put on it already. Its really baffeling but I have talked to a couple others with dodges and they seem to be having the same problem. They run cool while your working them or keeping under 50 but if you go any faster they heat up. I spent about 900 theis year on duel electric fans thinking that would help but all they do is cool it down fast once I drop my speed. I am beginning to think I may just have to live with it.
    I highly recomment the Boss but I also suggest if you go with on that you change the hoses to a steel braided type. It will save you from haveing one of the origionals breaking in the middle of the night like my first one did me. Other then that they are almost indestructable. And I really like the lights on them as well.

15. PLOWMAN45

is the fan clutch working properly ?

16. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Fan Clutch

I replaced the stock fan with duel electric 58cfm fans this past fall. They are set to come on when the temp goes about 165. There is no fan clutch anymore.

17. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

same problem

I have the same problem with my 88 Suburban with 7'6" boss straight blade, It also happens only above 55 mph for me, I can work the truck dang near death, drive all day long in the city and she will never get warm at all. It just heats up after 55mph, and the only thing that helps my truck on the highway is to go to full angle with the blade and drive 55-65. She still runs a little warm (210 Deg.) but much cooler than anything else I have tried. My 98 Cummins w/Boss V also heats a little on the highway as well. I also heard of a few people making a air diffuser type thing to pull more air into the radiator over the plow blade. Never saw one, just heard that it has been done. I also think that Blizzard might use them or possibly sell them. Just an idea.

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I knew that! So wasn't kicking him... lol

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

20. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

345 Hemi,

Get on Bosses web site and e - mail them directly. They have always been very promp at answering any questions I have ever directed their way. My closest dealer is 80 miles away so I do alot of my own trouble shooting. They have been a huge help at times. It has to be something odd, because I have 3 Boss V's and have never had a specific hose problem with any of them. There has to be a bypass pluged or something stupid like that. I'm sure that Boss will have it figured out for you in no time and treat you right. They always have for me.