1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by josolar, Dec 5, 2005.

1. josolar

josolar Junior Member
    from Mass

When I lift the plow up, or swing the plow left or right, the plow pump seems to be staying on even after the plow is all the way up. Eventually it drained my battery. Whats wrong?

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

What kind of plow and what kind of truck????

Big queston - What kind of plow and what kind of truck???? :confused:

Thanks!

3. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Junior Member

either your switches are sticking, or your solenoid is sticking. use a test light....start at the pump, work your way back through the soleniod. a soleniod at rest should only have power at one place. i'm thinking your soleniod is staying connected even when you drop the power out.

dan

4. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hmmm I was thinking that but he does say that it happens for up/left/right. Current should be flowing to only one relay/spool valve for the up/down action????

5. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Pump Solenoid is #1 Probable Cause

Pump Solenoid operates on up/left/right motion. Down should not require pump solenoid to even engage. This is where I would start. Not any more than a $20 and you should be AOK. This solenoid is by far the hardest worker as a result of higher current and highest number of cycles.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  6. josolar

josolar Junior Member
    from Mass

I put in a new selenoid and the battery is still getting drained after plowing for 10-15min. its a 6.5ft fisher mmI and a 96 tacoma. I am thinking of trying a heavy duty battery. I am hoping it is not the plow motor.