1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with plow drifting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DDWJr, Jan 4, 2002.

1. DDWJr

DDWJr Junior Member

I searched many threads before asking this most likely lame question....

I was given an older Meyer plow recently and mounted to my 1986 Suburban 4x4 with a 4" lift. After some minor mod's I had everything working great until the temperature dipped down into the teens - Basically wouldn't go up or turn. After talking to a few local guys and a few minutes in the shop I found that the fluid was full over water (from sitting for a few years) and basically everything was just freezing up. So... I drained all the fluid out of the lift cylinder, replaced with new stuff and was on my way. HOWEVER, now the plow settles something terrible. Is there a way to bleed the system or something. I have no visible leaks anywhere, so I'm thinking there is air in the system or something. Let me know what you think - Thanks!
  2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

If your plow is not holding its angle sounds like there is either air in the rams or the cross over valve is stuck. To bleed angle the plow from left to right and back. You'll have to do this quite a few times. If you can still move the plow by hand you will still have air in the system. You also might want to flush your pump with kerosene to get all the sludge out and then clean or change the filters. Then refill with new fluid.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If the plow is not holding in the up position then it is likely the "A" valve (black wire) that is somehow not functioning. Check it for voltage, magnetism and operation.

You may want to get a service manual or check out the link to the snowplow contractors network. There is a Meyer troubleshooting guide there.
  4. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Heres the scoop DDWJR-

1st- if the plow is mushy in BOTH directions, you most likely have air trapped in th angle cylinders. normally you hold the switch for an extra 2-3 seconds to purge air but that doesnt always work.

Here is the "trick fix", pull your truck into a loading dock,angle left to right holding the switch 2-3 sec. in both directions,let the plow down and let sit for about 15 minutes or longer is you can. check your fluid level, raise plow and now check to see if its mushy.

If that doesnt work theres more to tell ,let us know,
    good luck #1 PT
  5. DDWJr

DDWJr Junior Member

Thanks for the info!
    Just an update - I've tried a few things and my problem seems to be allot better - but not cured. When I filled the cylinder with fluid, I filled it right to the rim. According to a web site I found you should fill to about 1" from the top. I took some fluid out and cycled the plow up and down and left to right numberous times. I then raised the plow and let it sit overnight and noticed that it didn't drop at all during the night. - Good. However, once I lowered the plow and raised it again in the morning, I noticed that it dropped instantly an inch or so. I then raised it again and turned the plow from left to right a couple of times while the plow was up and bingo, no settling. It seems that when I have the plow turned all the way left or right the problem goes away, and if I have the plow centered the blade drops at a rate of about 1" per minute. I'll try the loading dock trick and let you know.

Thanks Again!