1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with my unimount poly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Plowman52, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I have been working on this plow sence last snow storm what happen was there was a small crack on the solenoid and im guessing snow got up in it and shorted out the system.

i bought this truck with the plow on it and i no i should of checked it before but i dident :gunsfiring: :eek: ...

but when it shorted out it melted all the wires in the TRUCK side harness about a foot from each plug. ( controller plug and plow plug)

i put a new western solenoid on it and also fix the wiring harness but now im not getting power from the one wire that comes off the controler (that tells the solenoid to open).

if i hook up power from the battery to the solenoid you can here it click on and if i hit the joy stick all it will do is shack for about a sec and quite. ( plow will shake)

if anyone could help me out i would be very thankful...

have a blessed day.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Time to dig into the schematics and verify things one wire at a time. There are several possible schematics for your plow. You need to determin if you have the two or three plug system. I suspect you have relay light controls being a uni-mount so that narrows it down a bit. There is no magical solution that will fix your problem. Just systematic trobleshooting. Here is a link to the electrical schematics guide. Just identify you plow electrical system and print off those pages. This book has pretty much every electrical system they ever made. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

what i have found out is that the brown/red wire coming from the controller to the solenoid it not getting power.. does that mean that the controller is bad???

4. mishnick

The brown / red wire at the main relay is only hot when you press up, left or right. It's not active otherwise. Put a test light on that terminal of the relay and get someone to press controller buttons. If the light comes on then the controller is fine but if it does not then it sounds like the controller is bad, yes.

5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

ITS THE CONTROLLER i took it apart and a peace of the controller is burnt and smells bad in there lol .

im going to fix it before i drop a bunch of money on a new ...

i will keep everyone posted

6. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

well she is fixed!!

the controller was bad {(pc board) it was very burnt but i fixed the board and now it working great agean....

thanks mishnick for the diagrams

7. mishnick

Good work my friend, it was a pleasure to to do my part.