1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with my unimount leaking from the bottom of the pump. (not the drain plug)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

While plowing yesterday I noticed on the bottom of the pump where it mounts to the frame it looked like it was leaking from one of the bolts that attach that mount to the pump ( next to the drain plug) the bolts weren't 100% tight but they werent loose either. Do those two bolts go into the tank? Seems kinda silly that they would, is there a gasket between that mount and the pump or something?

2. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

So I just took a look at it in the daylight and a few hours of sleep, I can't really tell if it's leaking from the bolt or between the bottom of the pump tank and that mount or whatever you want to call it.

Edit: so i just took a look at my manual and I guess what I'm talking about is the base lug cap and I see it has an o-ring in there. So now my question is is it leaking from the bolts not being snug or from the o-ring? And why does that even need to be connected with the tank so fluid can enter? Is it simply to increase the volume?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

The base lug has a little dimple in it, I am guessing that is used for sludge or dirt to settle, but I would suggest maybe replacing the oring. I had replaced my base lug a year or so ago just for the heck of it when I tore my pump down to clean it.

4. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

Im pretty sure its leaking from one of the bolts, do you know if they are tapped all the way into the tank?

5. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

also there is an o ring under there that may be damaged

6. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I do not remember if the bolts through to the tank unfortunately I took it apart 2 years ago. I do believe that o ring groove in the base lug comes real close to the screw holes, best bet is to just pull the pump and remove it, I had to cut the bolt to get mine off, also the bolt on mine was seized to the base lug