1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with my Truck.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ducke, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ducke

Ducke Member

As the topic say I have a Problem with my Truck.
    I have a 2004 Chevy 1500 4x4
    Here is the problem:
    When I put on my right blinker I get 4 way flashers. But I have a left blinker light.
    I have checked all the light bulbs and they all work so I just don't understand what it might be.
    Anyone else ever have this problem ?

2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

First things first, If you have a trailer wire connection, check that for corrosion at the harness connections and at the connector. I had a round 7RV plug corroded so bad that when I had my park lights (headlights) on, the torque converter and trans would do all kinds of crazy things because it was back feeding through the round 7 brake light pin and causing the trans to kick in and out of lock up. Also, I have heard of the filaments inside of an actual bulb touching, causing back feeding through the rest of the system. This is less likely than the corrosion at the round 7, but still a possibility. Ive always have been told "electrical problems take 5 hrs to find and 5 min to fix" GOOD LUCK

3. Mcdunn

Mcdunn Junior Member

You may just simply need a new Flasher module, that looks sort of like a Relay.

4. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I agree. Replace the flasher module and I guarantee that fixes your problem. It's a pretty common issue in Chevys/GMCs.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I might agree if he said it was both sides, but the left turn works fine per his post. I still think there's a short somewhere. I am guessing that when the right turn is on, the others blink but not as bright. All the flasher unit is (unless they've changed it) is a in-line automatic resetting circuit breaker, it shouldn't effect only one side if it were bad since both right and left turn uses the same flasher unit. Its also been my experience when a flasher goes bad, either the light stays on constantly, or doesn't come on at all.

6. JBMiller616

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Looks like they did change it, what do you know. Aparently im too "old school". Sounds like the TSB nails it.

8. JBMiller616

That's what makes this site great though, old school meets new school and everyone learns something! Thumbs Up

9. Ducke

Ducke Member

I will try pulling the module tomorrow.
    I have tried everything else.I replaced all the bulbs, Took off the trailer power plug and harness cleaned with contact cleaner and dielectric grease.but nothing.
    I have been down with a bad lung infection for the last couple weeks but am feeling a lot better so I will try this weekend to switch out the Flasher module.
    I will let you know how it goes.

:mechanic: I miss getting my hands dirty. This being sick thing SUCKS

10. Ducke

Ducke Member

OK
    So were oh were has GM hidden the Flasher relay in my 2004 1500 ?????? :help:
    I have looked in the fuse box at the drivers side dash not there.
    I have checked the fuse box down at the drivers side left foot no go there.
    I went though the fuse box in the engine compartment Nada Zip nothing.:dizzy:
    Can anyone tell me were this frigging is located :confused:

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I believe it is behind the fuse panel in the cab. Have to remove the lower dash panel to get to it.

12. Ducke

Ducke Member

Ok
    Did some looking on You tube and found some info,
    It says that you need to remove the lower dash and then lower the steering shaft :eek:
    Like are they serious.................I can't believe its that hard to change a flasher unit.
    Anyone ever have to do this ??? it seem a little extreme to me.
    but at $80.00 hour at the dealer I guess GM may just do something like that.