1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with my boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mean4x4, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

I have a Boss Plow 8ft Superduty with RT3 smart hitch. I just did all the wiring on my ram. Pulled up to it and I have nothing. My control works, my solenoid clicks, but I get nothing. The plow lights and signals work. The smart hitch won't move, the plow won't move at all. I have power to the solenoid. And when I hitch left right and up, I get power after the solenoid. The guys at the dealer said sand down the area where the plow hits the plow mount because it grounds through there. Any suggestions?

2. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

When you pulled up to the plow did you put the controller in the float position? It needs to be in float position to have it hitch up to the truck. If it did hitch to the truck , but you have no movement check the ground on the selenoid make sure there is no paint in the way of it making a good contact.. If this doesn't help give Boss service a call @ (960)776-3500

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Does the motor run,and do you have power at the motor ? If not,it's probably a connection or cable from the solenoid to motor.

If you have power at the motor,then it's a motor or a bad ground.You can check the motor case for power.If it is powered then you have a bad ground.If not,it's a motor.Try gently tapping on the motor,maybe it's siezed up.

4. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

The blade on my F-550 has done the same thing a couple of times. I seem to remember it being a ground wire problem. It was so weird. I would pull up, hit the switch and nothing would happen. I got to where when I would go into a store I would leave the blade up because i didn't know if It would raise when I came out. I got the ground connections checked and that fixed the problem. Hasn't happened since. It such a pain though when it doesn't work. I understand!!!:realmad:

5. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Figured it out

Okay, this is so odd. When I applied power to the plow (Left, right, up) It read 12.13 volts. The solenoid seemed to be alright. So I tested for power at the Motor on the plow. It read 0.00 So I tested resistance in the wires, 0.00 resistance on both + & - wires. So from the plug on the truck side it read 12.13 volts. But on the plow side where the wires bolt to the plow motor. It read 0.0
    I was so confused, so I had a spare solenoid, so I popped it in. The plow works perfect. Go figure? after 6 hours of head scratching, a stupid solenoid, which still makes no sense.