1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with my 86

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevytruck85, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Hopfuly somone can help me, when i step on the gas the the truck loses power and almost goes dead,thought it was the carb so i swaped carbs and it still does it, its almost like there is a vacum leak but I cheaked all the vacum lines. anybody got any ideas on what the problem is?
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Don't forget about fuel filters. You are probably on the money with the vacuum leak thought. Sometimes an old fashioned tune up helps (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and check the timing) but if it is falling on it's face rather than sputtering a little it is probably a vacuum leak. Think simple first! Is it possible you didn't get the right carb on the truck? Also, did you replace the accelerator pump with the carb? If I am not mistaken, there is a diaphragm in there which could be bad. I am a little rusty on carbs (thankfully) and going off of memory, but I think there is a diaphragm in there. Also, is it possible you got some contaminated fuel, or water in there somehow? Good luck!
  3. Chevytruck85

thanks i think il cheak out the accerator pump. Also I put a new fuel filter in it
  4. schnitz

schnitz Member

Best way I've found to check vacuum leaks is to spritz a little starting fluid around all the vacuum ports and hoses. If you hit a leak, the engine will rev up a bit, you'll know if you find one.

Later, Chet.
  5. Chevytruck85

hey guys thanks for the help it ended up being a bad EGR valve.