1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Meyers Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bfbchief, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas. First snow of the season the other day and my plow did not work.

I have a Meyers E-47 plow on a 1987 Dodge W250.

Here is what the plow is doing. I have two toggle switches. One that makes it go up and down and one that makes it go side to side. When I try to raise the plow all I hear is a clicking noise at the coil (I believe) when I try to go side to side all I hear is a clicking noise at the coil.

Thinking that he plow motor was shot I got a new motor, installed the motor tonight and still have the same problems.

The trouble shooting guide that came with the motor says, check the battery (battery is fine), bad starter solenoid...but wouldn't that cause problems with my truck starting? Truck starts fine. Also says could be bad control switch.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong, what I should look for? I am new at this so don't know much.

Thanks for any help
    Josh

2. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

try this

Go to myers home page and their is a link for a full break down on the pumps you can print out. It even gives you a trouble shouting guide. I used it the other day and the guide was correct to a tee. Go to http://www.meyerproducts.com/service/parts_service.asp. that will get you the service manual. More detailed then book. If you decide to print it out it is a lot of pages. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the plow has a sepearate solenoid, check that if you havent already checked and cleaned and lubed all the connections for the ground and positive cables.

is the plow motor ground right to the negative terminal of the battery or is it grounded to the plow chassis? it should go right to the negative terminal, I have my old jeep grounded to both just to make sure.

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Are the connections from the truck to the plow a clean connection. You might also want to spray with dielcetric grease too. It sounds like you just a bad connection to me. But I am not a pro by any means.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You have a seperate motor solenoid for the plow. You will find it mounted somewhere near the battery, look for an additional battery cable from the positive side of the battery and follow it, should lead you to the plow solenoid. With help and a test light, test both side of the solenoid for power (large terminals) while your help holds the switch in the raise position. You should have power on both sides, if no power, bad solenoid, if power, check for power at the positive terminal at the motor while help holds the switch in the raise position, no power, bad battery cable, power, more than likely a bad motor.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

he bought and installed a new motor already

7. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

LINY

you say that the plow has it's own solenoid...do you know wher this would be? Under the dash? Hood?

I also need to look at all the connections, etc. I haven't done any of that yet. Like I said I am VERY new at this and don't know much about it. Found this site and so far you guys are giving me some great things to check out.

8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

like crash said- follow the connections from the battery to find the solenoid, or follow the positive cable from the plow motor to see where it goes.

its usually mounted as close to the battery and plow set up as possible.
    if you need a new one you can go back to your meyer dealer or go to any auto parts store and get one.

9. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for all the replies...I belive I know where the solenoid is.....as a matter of fact I changed that out a couple months ago because the truck was not starting...I thought that had some thing to do with starting the truck...ended up of course being the start.

I'll check all connections, etc.

Again thanks to all.

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you changed out the plow solenoid, a few months ago, by mistake then that could be your problem. fallow Crash's advice.

11. tomdually

tomdually Junior Member

Just to make sure you don't change out the wrong solenoid, go to the plow motor and follow the large cable back up under the hood to the solenoid that that cable is hooked to--change that solenoid.

12. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

I have same plow and had the same problem.. The plow solenoid must be grounded properly and your connections must be clean. The click is normal when you hit the switch.. In my case I had a bad ground and dirty connection at the plow motor. In my case the solenoid grounded with the mounting bolt so you may need a new shiney bolt and clean off a spot to mount it, inside front fender is where mine is.
    I also asked same question on here, a search will get you some results...

good luck..

13. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks will be working on it this weekend. Will keep you all informed of my progress.

14. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

This is just an update to all who had advice for me. I got the plow working great today. It was the solenoid. I had changed it out earlier in the year when my truck wasn't starting. Well I learned today that solenoid had nothing at all with my truck starting or not starting.

The Solenoid has 4 post on it. Two post for the postive cables then there are two really small post. I have a white wire going to one of the small post...well come to find out I had hooked up that small white wire to the wrong post. Once I switched it over to the other post it worked great.

So again thanks to everyone for their help and advice...you guys pointed me in the right direction!!!

Thanks
    Josh