1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with MD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by KAB55, Jan 19, 2009.

1. KAB55

KAB55 Junior Member

This morning when I went out to clear the lot, the blade did not seem to be dropping completely and it was not plowing well. Yesterday when I plowed the lot it plowed fine but the trim piece came off the top of the lift cylinder (screws came out, have piece and will put back on with some locktite). The lights appear to be tipped slightly back compared to where they were before. I adjusted the chain a link and it appeared to plow fine. I'm concerned that something is loose or bending. Any suggestions as to where to look for problems. Won't beable to get it back to the dealer till the end of the week. I've only plowed a half dozen times with it on my very small lot, so I sure hope something is not bending, the most snow we've had is 3 or 4 inches at a time.
  2. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I hope you do a follow up on this when you find out what the problem is. I have the same plow. have you had yours off yet and tried to put it back on?
  3. KAB55

KAB55 Junior Member

No, I haven't taken it off yet. Been too cold here to fool around with it. Looked it over tonight, can't see anything bent, but the headlights were aimed about 2 feet higher on the garage wall then they have been, so I wonder if something moved on the mount. Re-aimed the lights and the right one doesn't want to tighten up very tight, the lug is just spinning when you tighten it. I'm going to try to have the dealer check it the end of the week. I'll keep the forum posted on any problem that is discovered.
  4. KAB55

KAB55 Junior Member

Bent lift frame on SnowDogg MD75

I was able to get the truck & plow to the dealer today for a look. It appears that the lift frame is bent and needs to be replaced. Not sure how this occurred, but they seem to think that the chain was too tight when they installed it causing the ram to hit the A frame bending the lift frame backwards. Seems like this shouldn't be able to happen, but what do I know. They had me leave the plow and said that the repairs would be covered under warranty. There was another SnowDogg MD75 right ahead of where I dropped mine with the deflector shattered. Hope with all this cold weather it doesn't happen to mine. Seems that maybe plastic is not the best choice for the deflector. Also wonder what will become of the plug covers, as they are also plastic.
  5. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

any idea if the deflector is covered or do we have to pay for a new one ourselfs?
  6. Rhyno6

Rhyno6 Junior Member

I was told that they are covered under warranty and smoorman that is on here from snow dogg had said in another forum that they were working on some kind of rubber one or something.
  7. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

thank you very much, but not sure if i want to put another plastic one on just to break again. they do look nice though on the blade.
  8. badave

badave Junior Member
    from MA

I have the same problem.Looks like the upright is bending where it attaches to the a-frame
  9. KAB55

KAB55 Junior Member

Picked up repair today

Picked up my MD75 today from the dealer. They said that they had another customer that had the same bent lift frame that I had after using the plow once. The service manager said that Buyers has said that they are aware of a problem and are working on a heavier frame and that if it bends again, they will be able to replace it with the heavier model. It required replacement of the lower portion of the frame that mounts to the truck and attached to the upright lift frame. They also said that there was a problem with the deflectors breaking. Hopefully I won't have any more problems, but I fully expect that the frame will bend again and need to be repaired again. I pleased with the customer service by Scientific Brake in Saginaw so far and they assured me that they would take care of it if and when it happens again. I'm suprised that the Buyer's rep has not commented on the problem thus far, seems to be a common problem with the MD75.
  10. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I did alot or searching on these posts on the snow doggs befor i bought mine and there sure was not anybody saying anything on here about the problems that people are having
  11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

It's really not at all common, but it doesn't need to be common to be of great concern to me. As it is a new product, we try to stay very aware of ANY field failures. We are working closely with our dealers and will address any issues that we see.

We're constantly reevaluating our design, and will work with our dealers to keep their customers plowing.

Scott Moorman
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  12. RS1967

RS1967 Junior Member
    from mass

hey looking to buy a md 75 is ir worth it? Or should I get a myers.
  13. dognit

dognit Junior Member

Bent Lift Frame?

Took delivery of an MD75 this past November. Did the complete install myself in less than 7 hours. Buyers pushed up production of the mounts for a late model (1996) Dodge Ram by about a month and a half after a few calls from the dealership. Original time-line for these mounts was end of Dec 2008. The plow is used only at my home. Just over 1/4 mile long driveway, then around the back of the house and 1/4 mile back out and the parking area in front of 40' X 120' garage. Takes me roughly 2 hours each time I plow. The area I live in has had over 66 inches of snow so far this year. Took some pictures (will try to post later) of drifts that were 1 or 2 inches higher than the bottom of the door windows. I've put this plow through hell for a mid weight model and have not had a single issue. When the temps got below zero the down speed slowed some but that's to be expected. Even hydraulic oil doesn't' like temps that cold. I will have to keep an eye on it but that's pretty rare to bend a lift frame.
    Hey Buyers - thanks for the free hat in the bottom of the box :)
  14. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

dam another free hat still didnt get one here
  15. KAB55

KAB55 Junior Member

Very Pleased

I'm very please with my MS75, it does a great job. It's a fairly new product and buyers is standing behind it. The bend I had was very hard to see, even after they removed the bent part. The only reason I knew I had a problem, was that the plow wouldn't go all the way down and the lights were higher on the garage wall. Let out a link on the chain and it plowed fine. The area where the bend occurred has just the necessary amount of steel for the job. We've had a rough winter here in Michigan, losts of ice and snow. SnowDoggs aren't the only ones having problems here this year. The fact that buyers is standing behind their product would lead me to purchase from them in the future. For a medium duty plow, the MD75 does a heck of a job and is perfect for my lot, which is all I use it for. By the way, nice hat also!
  16. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

where did it bend at? seems like my lights are a bit higher then i had adjested them in the first place. after reading all the problems people are having wondering if mine is bending
  17. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

At the bottom where the silver pivot pin goes thru.
    The place that the plow pivots on.

You will notice the hole that the pivot pin goes thru is enlongated.

These side plates are only 1/4 in thick if I remember right.

The new side plates are 5/16" thick..

Im not sure if that is going to take care of it or not.... I would like to see
    more material below the pivot hole as well. Should have been 1/2" more
    material at least

And the side plates should have been 3/8" thick in that area at least.

Hopefully they will look at this more....
  18. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I looked it over and mine is bent aswell guess ill have to make a trip out to my dealer and have it fixed, have they made a thicker replacement part yet that you know of?
  19. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Looking at this plow for an F150....but wondering if the new plows have addressed the bending issue. Anyone know?
  20. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I'm sure you've read through all the threads on these plows. Few people experienced this problem at all. It was an odd one as there was little consistency to who would have them problem (home plowers, commercial plowers, etc.). It was worse in the areas with a lot of ice banks, but still only affected certain people. My best guess is that the welding was sometimes excessive and weakened the point at which it was under maximum stress, resulting in fatigue cracks and bending.

Regardless, the design has been changed to eliminate this possibility. I'm confident you should not have any issues. The MD has been our most popular plow yet.

Scott Moorman
    Director of Engineering
    BPC / SnowDogg Plows