1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem With Lightning X strobe lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TazLandscapes, Jan 16, 2008.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

I recently got a Lightning X 90watt 6 strobe HAW kit for my truck.I started to install just 4 strobes for now i got the rears all hooked up and the power supply is all wired up.But it keeps blowing fuses on the Add a fuse on the battery and on the power box itself.Just trying to get it to work i have gone through about 20 fuses so far when i put them in the spark a little bit then pop the fuse.I also cut the Hi/lo wire to it.but i am getting really stumped on this.I am gonna install the front ones tomorrow but i would atleast like to know the rear ones work before i hook up the front ones..

Thanks
    Mike

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If they're blowing when you put them in, it sounds like you have a short circuit, something is wired wrong. Check all your wiring, making sure all your grounds and positives are done correctly and to the right places.

3. TazLandscapes

I did what the instructions said run a ground from the truck battery and connect to power harness.do same thing with positve and add a 15amp add a fuse to it.I have the power box on a piece of sheet metal for heat dissipation and screwed on to the sheet metal.

mike

4. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i agree sounds like bad ground what awg wire did you use

5. TazLandscapes

emayer23 I used 16gauge awg wire for both positive and negative.could it be i need a bigger wire gauge.

Mike

6. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

i got the same thing 6 bulb 90 watt lightning x i have an amp for my radio so i connected +to that and ran 16 gauge for my ground right to battery. must be a connection somewhere i d start by moving the ground see if that helps

7. TazLandscapes

emayer23 I went through all the wiring again and even brought it to a friend of mine that deals with wiring and batteries and said that all looked good.i checked everything over with a fine tooth comb and it still is blowing fuses.the X switch isint even coming on the ground is tight to the battery.Should i jump up to 14awg wire..

Mike

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

as said before you have a short. I think you did this but check all your wires from end to end, not just the connections. if a + wire is pinched it will ground on the truck and short. a bad ground would just cause the unit not to operate.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  9. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

if it were me and im not sure this is a good idea but go right from the +batt to the power supply just right off batt through the door topower supply see if that works then youll know if like new2chevy said pinched wire or a problem on + side with fuse if it pops could be your fuse holder does your fuse pop before you even turn it on or after you turn it on?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  10. TazLandscapes

it doesnt even turn on.it just pops them just as i hit the switch.but from what i could see on the wire through the firewall it looks like i might have stripped it a little bit.So i am going to rewire it alltogether.Also i have 9mmedge whelen lightbar hooked up in my truckand i ran the wires to a switch and would it be a bad idea if i hooked onto the ground and positive wire that is already ran to the battery for the lightbar and hook up to it and run the corner strobes of off them.

Mike

11. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

off the same switch not a good idea

12. TazLandscapes

not off the same switch.Off the positve and negative wire thats already run through the firewall that runs from the battery and cointo the truck that runs my lightbar and plow light switch.
    Should have been more clearer with it.

Mike

13. emayer23

emayer23 Senior Member

if its a low enough gauge to ''support'' it i would when i connected my hideaways i connected +with the amp for my radio its like 4 gauge so i new it would work fine i ran the ground back to my batt

14. TazLandscapes

Well i tried connecting to the positve wire to my lightbar but that didnt workwhen i turned the truck on to see if i had figured out the problem the fuse gave out a small blue spark but never popped it or the add a fuse on the battery.I have 16awg wire running from the battery into the truck hooked into my lightbar and it never gave me a problem but since i tried to hook these lights up i am getting more and more frustrated with them.Also the add a fuse setup is14gauge wire hooked into 16awg wireshould i just try and go upto 14awg wire and see if that helps..

Mike

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just run a fused wire directly to your battery or another battery on the outside of your truck, just to see if the lights work and then go from there.

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

You have it grounded thru your truck. Take it off get your self a 18v batt from a cordless drill take the pos 2 the pos and the neg 2 the neg see if it works

17. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

TazLandscapes: You may want to try calling Andy at Fireoutfitters, he is the owner per say of Lightning X and will be able to help you solve your problem.

18. TazLandscapes

Thank you guys for all your help.I am going up my cousins house so he can take a look at it and rewire it if need be.but if all else fails iam probably gonna be out another 300-500 bucks and have a lighting shop take care of it.

mike

19. TazLandscapes

well i just got in from trying something diffrent.I cut the pos and neg wires to the control box and unhooked it from the metal plate it was on and hooked it up directly to the battery itself and i was getting power to the box and switch.THe little light was flashing on the box.but from where i was standing the rear strobes were not coming on.so atleast i might have solved my own problem.will let everyone know if they are working 100% tommorrow.

Mike

20. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

On my old truck I ran a low guage wire from the battery, through an inline fuse under the hood, through the firewall and to a fused distribution block. That way there is only the need for one wire coming through. Then all other lights were hooked to the distribution block. They make many kinds depending on what you want to spend. Car audio install places will have nice ones that the wires are secured by set screws so there is no need for connectors. I have some that will accept large wire and use maxi fuses.