1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Lift Cylinder

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mvanbeek, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mvanbeek

mvanbeek Junior Member

Have an older minute mount SEHP, trying to get this plow working correctly. At this moment the plow will lift and drop but we cannot get the cylinder to compress at all. Used all efforts.
    Tried to loosen the nut cannot budge. So what would you guys do to loosen nut and get the cylinder to move freely. Asking since we seem to go from one problem to bigger problems Thank you

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

.......the plow drops, but the cylinder doesn't compress? That's contradicting...do you mean you can't collapse it all the way?

Let me first cover all bases, I apologize if you already know this...you just never know; Is it in float mode, do you know what that is, and how to achieve it?

3. mvanbeek

mvanbeek Junior Member

The plow lifts slowly, turns slowly which we still have to figure out(this has been an ongoing problem) but the plow drops but will not compress. I put the controller to down and hold and my son in law tries to push pound etc the triangle down and it will not go. I am going to assume that the cylinder is what they call dry they suggest to loosen the nut which we tried but we would like to know from someone that knows this type of plow exactly what we should do. We purchased it last yr used never used it no snow in NJ. We would like to fix this plow to where it should work ok. We cleaned out the pump area, cleaned the filter and put fluid back in. Now, the motor rises slowly, turns slowly and the triangle will not compress so we can check the fluid levels again.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes you can get the lift arm (triangle) all the way down by pushing in on the chain with your foot. With the contoller in float, push the center of the chain towards the truck with your foot. This will give you more leverage.
    I doubt the packing nut is your problem since the plow moves side to side slowly too.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

There are several things that you can do to try and correct it. Let me ask you, did you pull the pump out when you cleaned it and changed the filter, or did you just leave it in the base of the reservoir and did the best you could?? Honestly, It sounds to me like the pickup filter isn't on the the pump securely, it's clogged, or cracked.....did you replace it, or just clean & re install it? Was it acting this slow prior to changing the fluid?

The packing nut is most likely your issue as far as lowering, however, with that being said, I would pull the coils and valves first. Your looking at a weak pump / motor, clogged valves, a junk controller, or just a clogged or mis installed pickup filter for the rest of it.

Drain the fluid again, and remove the valve cover box. Remove the coils and valves, from the manifold, and blast out the bores with brake cleaner. Use WD-40, PB blaster, fluid film...what have you, and spray the valves down, take a pointy object (I usually use an electrical tester probe) and push in on the ends of the valves, then release, make sure they travel in and out smoothly. Blast them with brake cleaner and lube until they do. Scrub it down with an old tooth brush if needed.

On to the pump, after you remove the pump motor, then remove the pump off the base of the reservoir (2 of the 4 bolts - bottom right and top left if facing it from the front). Remove and replace the oring on the bottom of the pump, as well as the filter on the side, and scrape the pump motor gasket off and replace it. Clean the reservoir out with brake cleaner and rags before reinstalling pump & motor. Make absolutely sure that the filter is on properly, and that there is no cracks in the white molding or screening.

Mechanic’s Guide

Owner’s Manual

Filter: 7053K
    Oring: 5821
    Gasket: 25861

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]