1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with down pressure.

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Pearcelawn, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I have a 6'8" 22 series with down pressure. The problem is when I put the down pressure on and lower the blade the light tower tilts back about two inches at the top before the truck starts to lift.

It is also not getting the same lift as I had a few days ago. I have looked for the pivot point to see if something is loose to no avail. I have dismounted and remounted the plow on the truck a couple of times and that has not made a difference.

It seems as though something is loose somewhere but I just can't seem to locate it. The light tower did not move with the down pressure when I bought the plow about two months ago.

O.K. guys.....any ideas?

2. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

When mine does this I check the switch on the side of the pump/motor housing make sure it is set for normal operation - not raise or lower.

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I will take a look. I have only had the Sno Way for a bit now so I have never even had the opportunity to have the cover off.

How would the switch get moved by itself and isn't raising and lowering normal operation of a plow?

Not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to understand how this would affect the light tower and trying to learn in general.

Thank you for responding . I love this site.xysport

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You have a different model plow then winged1dur.

If it worked right when you removed it, it should work when you but it back on. If there's no fluid under it and all the parts of the scissors are attached then check to make sure the plow is properly attached to the truck. it's the one thing that has changed. posts tight in their lower cradles and the upper pins engaged. Did you remember to lift the foot?

this link is the parts manual the expanded view will give you the proper assembly page 4
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97101024c.pdf

If this is a new plow take it to the dealer, it's under warranty, let the factory pay for it. The dealer only assembled one pin in the lift system and added fluid.

5. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

It worked right until yesterday. I seems as though something happened while I was plowing. It was on the truck when this started. I have checked all the proper pins,posts,mounting bolts,etc. and all seem to be in good working order.

No fluid laying around either.

I will dismount/remount it one more time before going to the dealer,it is kind of a long haul there that is why I tried here first.

I did not remember to lift the foot about two weeks ago and tore it up pretty good. I am going to take it off completely. It is not an issue here though. Left a nice gouge in my driveway!!!!

It is only 3 months old so it is definitely under warranty.The one problem I have is it is my only truck/plow. I am a solo op. and have no backup for it so I hope the dealer can help.

Thanks basher.

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would agree with Basher and double check the hook up as it is what may have changed. If all looks good with that take it to a dealer to have the situation looked into.

7. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Thanks folks!!! Appreciate all the ideas /answers.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Didn't realize it happened while using the unit, the jack foot could be the key. Check the linkage in the scissor lift the the jack attached to. Is it bent? did it shear the cotters or bend a bolt or pin? normally excess motion is worn or missing bushings, broken bolts, or damaged lift components, rare for a newer plow, However a good whomp in the jack stand might do it. Spell check says whomp's not a word, they just never whomped something hard enough to understand:jester:

Keep us informed, always looking to add a little new information to the internal data base.

9. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

O.K. After much inspection I cannot figure it out on my own. It looks as if the light tower pins on the top hole where you mount the plow have elongated. They are both 1/8 inch bigger than the pin. Also the pins don't appear to go in all the way. As the plow hits the ground and the frame starts to push back, they rock back in the holes causing movement.

As for the lightened downpressure, this seems to be a separate issue. The piston that exerts the downforce has the paint worn off to a certain point through regular wear and tear. As the downpressure is applied now it barely reaches 1/3 of that distance it traveled before. I think I have a serious problem.

I made sure the hydraulic fluid was full,it was. So that is not a problem. The piston moves about 1/2 inch so it is trying , it just doesn't move all the way. The motor is not straining and it is not hitting anything it just seems as though the power to lift the truck is not there.

I printed the schematic you gave to me ,basher, and took it with me and none of the components are bent or damaged.

Thanks guys

10. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Just got off the phone with the dealer. He says it sounds like down pressure is working but plow is not locking to the truck properly. That is why lights are moving. Going to go there tomorrow morning.

Any last minute checks before I drive 50 miles?

Thanks for your time.
    Once again Plowsite is the best.

And despite a few small issues I am still a very proud Sno Way owner and recommend them to anyone who asks!!!

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Make sure the lower pins are in their cradles, and the upper pins go all the way in, connecting the plow to the truck. the handles should be tight.

Do both sides of the plow move or just one?

Is there mud or something lodged in the mount that could be restricting the lift bar from setting either down or back?

I looked at a unit they were assembling today and I don't see what could cause this problem unless there was something improperly/incompletely attached or bent.

These issues might be related. the plow is limited to a certain psi DP. If something is binding the dp would have a less effect

12. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher, I have checked and cleaned everything. Nothing seems bent or out of whack. The only thing I noticed that I didn't think was normal was that the upper pins just barely make it to the second hole they go in to. I men BARELY. The tapered end of the pin is flush with the steel on the mount, it does not protrude out at all.

My dealer said the same thing,it sounds as if there is an issue where it connects to the truck. He will be looking at it at 8 am tomorrow. He was going to talk me through raising the pressure on the down pressure system but stopped when I told him about the lights.

As I said in a previous post, I actually printed the page from the parts manual and went over everything and found nothing bent or broken. Thanks for the link, by the way.

I too believe it is all related but have no idea how. I have been doing this for ten years now and can solve most problems on my own, weather it is the mowers, handheld equipment, etc.. This has been by far the most frustrating thing ever.

It is going to be something so simple I am going to be kicking myself in the butt for not finding it. I took a walk behind mower to the shop 'cause I couldn't get it started one day. I wasn't 5 miles down the road when they called and told me the PTO switch for the blades was on and that's why it didn't start.LOL:dizzy:

I will be sure to get on here and let you know what I found out........If it isn't too embarrassing!!!!

13. toby4492

Pearcelawn,

Please let us know what you find out at the dealer.

14. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Good luck, Pearcelawn. They will sort it out for you, I'm sure.

Both you and I bought our Sno-Ways at roughly the same time.

While this doesn't answer your question, I can only say that I wish my dealer were located 50 miles away! (I would have to drive 200+ miles with any problem).

Thanks for keeping us posted. I have only used my 22 plow three times since I bought it. Maine needs snow - winter isn't fun without it.

15. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Maine Mike

200 MILES!!! Holy @$#%!!! I guess I have it good. I have used mine 4 times so I have one on ya. We have snow on the ground this morning,not plowable yet but I am hoping!!

Will let you all know what the dealer says.

Karl

16. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Problem solved!!!

I had a learning experience today. I learned how the scissor linkage for the plow is supposed to look like and work as the blade is lifted. The problem was the two bolts just below the rear of the cover for the electrical,hydraulic stuff for the plow. They had worked themselves loose and were causing the light movement problem.

The down pressure problem was also solved to my satisfaction,however, Bill the mechanic I was working with was not satisfied and tweeked the pressure up to specs. He also went over the whole plow and checked everything. This was all done before the dealer even opened his doors to business for the day!!!

A HUGE THANK YOU TO BALLENTYNE R.V. FOR THE SERVICE AFTER THE SALE!! HANDS ON AND OVER THE PHONE SERVICE HAS BEEN STRICTLY FIVE STAR ALL THE WAY.

SNO WAY SHOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE DEALERS OF THIS CALIBER SELLING THEIR PRODUCT!!!!

Problem solved.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Gotta love it:bluebounc :bluebounc :bluebounc

18. toby4492

Glad to hear that you got the plow taken care of and received such great service. I will make sure corporate recieves your comments on the dealer involved.

We at Sno-Way appreciate your business.

Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow !!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  19. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher- Love it big time!!:)

Toby 4492- This dealer has been awesome since day 1. Gone over and above to get the job done and done everything they say they are going to do when they are going to do it. Installation was on time. Since they are a little bit of a drive, they have done very well over the phone, even to the point of the mechanic getting on the phone with me.

Just another reason to be a pleased Sno-Way owner.