1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with buyers vibrator kit after install

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bchurch05, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

just installed a buyers 80lb vibrator on my spreader and i keep blowing the fuse.
    It came with a 7.5 amp blew that after 2 secs tried a 10amp and blew that right away too.
    it is wired up correctly per manufactures install guide. and i am above average mechanically.
    the wire they supplied was to short to do everything but all the wire that i added was a lot bigger than what it came with. it is wired direct to a on off switch not to a controller.

so my questions any ideas why its blowing fuses?
    7.5 amps seems small for that application.
    also do most people ditch the fuse?
    it honestly seemed like a after thought thrown in to the kit.

2. pusher 20

pusher 20 Junior Member
    from IL.

Obviously you've got a ground on the positive somewhere. I installed one on are little tale gate buyers to spread bulk this year, put the 7.5 amp fuse in and its just fine been spreading with it all year. No ones coplained yet.
    Trace your wires or look for a pinch some where.:rolleyes:

3. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

that is what i thought at first but i went through everything twice and it is all correct
    the only thing that i changed just for convince i put the fuse after the switch.

4. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

You should always use same size wire when running an extension. Big wire feeding into little wire causes heat and fire sometimes. the added heat could be causing excess current draw?(just a thought) We run sound systems and wire size change are a big nono. also ur fuse should be before the the switch to prevent switch burn up and keep an electrical fire from occuring inside cab of truck. Also dont forget to heat shrink tube any spices, connections as salt of the road will corrode the connetion and also create unecessary current loss/draw.

5. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

Ive never seen your unit but if you somehow compressed the housing it would impede the vibrator causing excess amp draw also Remember 7.5 isnt a lot of juice so it doesnt take much

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

this statement is not true-

first electricity flows NEG to POS. so basicly, your entire truck frame can act like a negative wire. a "LARGE one" so why doesnt your truck frame heat up then?

When running an extenstion. - too small of a wire can cause heat. even if you are using the same size wire as the orginal, the added lenght will casue a resistance which will equal more heat. the smaller wirer in that case is only the "weakest link" and so thats what would burn up first

question, the switch you are using does it light up? or is it just a basic toggle switch?

disconnect the wires at the vib, and then test from a short in the wiring

one other thought - how is your vib mounted? one possiblity, maybe the vib it self has both a "chassy ground" and a grounding wire....

basicly if you had it mounted to metal, on the spreader, and you had the neg and positive mixed up......there is a short possiblity. i have seen that with many lights. Just becasue the bulb has 2 wires coming from it, that are the same color, do not assume that you can just hook up one to pos and one to neg... nest for resistance and make sure it has no connecting from either wire to the mounting surface.

7. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

went through the whole thing again and swapped the fuse to before the switch everything is correct as shown on diagram.

the vibrator came with 14 awg and all i had was 12 so i used that to run power to the fuse and from the fuse to the switch and than supplied wiring from switch to rear of vehicle. i also added a extension to run the ground all the way to the battery instead of to the chassis

same result blown fuse as soon as the switch is thrown

8. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

i wired black for ground and white for positive the vib is not grounded it mounts to the plastic portion of the spreader.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok disconnect the vibrator at the rear of the truck...i assume there is some type of plug right? then turn it on (with it unplugged) and see what happens. start from there

10. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

unpluged at the back of the truck and when turned on it did not blow the fuse as soon as pluged in blew it right away. i am out of any fuses less than 15 amps when i put that in and turn it on it works just fine but i do not like this as a solution as it came with a 7.5amp and i am double that to get it to stay on for more than 2 secs.

11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

it came with a 7.5 fuse for a reason......running it with a 15 will lead to other problems you do not want

12. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

yea i know i am not going to run it that way

13. delcosnow14

delcosnow14 Junior Member

take a piece of wire and jump out the fuse. Then take a amp probe and put it around the wire and turn on the switch see how many amps the vibrator is drawing. there may be a load issue. mine only draws 4 amps until the spreader is loaded then it draws around 8

14. pusher 20

pusher 20 Junior Member
    from IL.

Sounds like you have a defective motor! Did you mount it down low and on the flatest part of the spreader that you could find? Its possible you could have cranked down to hard on a rounded area of the spreader causing the aluminum housing on the moter to slightly ground somewhere. ( anotherwards warpt the housing ) Put a pic on so every one can see your situation.

15. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

I installed the same vibrator on a fisher 1000. I threw away the fuse that came with it and used a 20 amp. Did you cut the ground wire with the wire from the switch? Yours came with a 7.5 amp?? mine only came with a 6 amp fuse.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  16. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

i will get pictures up tonight but it is down on a flat spot and this is not the first vibrator to be mounted on the spreader i used my old mounting point which worked fine before. i am going to test the amps and call buyers today.

17. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

buyers said put a 15 amp fuse in there
    i did and it works now
    not exactly the solution that i was hoping for.