1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Buyers SUV spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IHI, Dec 4, 2009.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I bought this a few years ago for spot salt apps, and the first year was problem free and it worked exactly as i inteded it for. This year when going through equipment to prep for snow when i turned the controller on it initally made a humming noise at the motor, but the motor would'nt spin. The controller said Speed X so the controller thoguht everything was fine. I turned the controller off, spun the spinner by hand, it spun freely. Turned controller back on and this time it kept saying check motor and no noise at the motor at all.

Took and anally cleaned ALL the plug in connections and dielectric greased them up, put it back together and same thing. Controller said check motor and nothing was spinning. I removed the chasis ground at the quick connect on the rear of the truck, cut the wire, installed a new eyelet, ground down some fresh chasis metal and reinstalled the ground wire on the quick connect. Turned the controller on and all was right with the world. That was 2 weeks ago.

Last night i got a call for a small lot for a quick salt app, lil 400lb lot, so put the spreader on the truck, decided to check it since i knew it had issues prior. Turned it on, no spinner with controller on "speed 4" so i left the controller on and walked back and spun the spinner by hand...it started to spin, slowly but consistently the same speed, and then it came out of it and started to spin at speeds normally associated with speed 0-9. Loaded'er up, got to the parking lot, hit the switch...nothing:realmad: So 5 minutes back and forth spinning the spinner by hand, switching controller on and off, etc...and finally it started to work and worked like a new one the whole time i was spreading, turning it off and on at stops and truck positioning. Got home, still worked like a champ. I'm going out in a bit before i take it back off the truck to see what happens.

Anybody have any ideas or similar stories with a happy ending as to what may cause this. As of today the unit is now going on almost 3yrs old, and the 2nd season i've owned it, original owner said he only ran a pallet through it, and the spreader looked like brand new when i picked it up, and at this point it's got roughly 3 pallets of material that WE have pushed through it. Could the motor be taking a dump already or is it possible the ground, even though i was anal about it, still is'nt upto snuff, anything else?? Like ii said, it worked great for the reason i bought it for these small spotting jobs instead of using the big V, so i just want it to be reliable again.
  2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

probably the motor...they're cheap