1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem With Boss "V" Being Level

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DozerMan, Mar 2, 2010.

1. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

I have a 8'2 Boss Poly V with the RT3 Mount. I've noticed recently that when I go down the road and put it in the V position for transport and raise up the blade, the driver side of my blade is higher than the pass. side. The blade is mounted on my '02 Silverado 2500HD and I have timbrens and a leveling kit on it. Everything still works fine and the blade pushes good, but it's hanging too low on that one side and now it will scape the ground frequently if there is a dip in the road or sudden incline. Until recently it very rarely ever hit the ground.

I took a bunch of measurements tonight. My driveway isn't 100% level but close enough to get a general idea. With the blade raised and in the "V" position, my driver side measures 8 1/4" from the ground to the bottome corner of the cutting edge. The passenger side was only 4".

I still have the blade on and its dark and I didn't have time to check over the whole mount, but what I could see everything looked good. My trip springs that fold the wings in seem to be tensioned the same. I don't recall hitting anything that would damage the blade.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Is there any kind of adjustment for this, or do you think something is bent or broken?
  2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

4 inches difference..........something is bent. Are you sure both sides are in full V? Is the driver's side not retracting all thre way?
  3. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

From what I can tell, it's retracting all the way. I'll measure the mount itself tomorrow with the blade up... I forgot to do that. I measured it with the blade down only and it was level. What's most likely to be bent if that is the case? Are there any general "weak spots" or common places? I've plowed with this blade for the past 4 or 5 seasons and it has been great.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is one side of the cutting edge worn more? Mine will throw sparks also but only on the drivers side.
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I would measure the height of cutting edges on both sides.........that would be a start. But 4 inches does seems like a lot.

Also look when the plow is in V and make sure both cylinders are fully retracted.
  6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

When you put the blade in the straight position and the scoop position and hold it a couple inches off the ground, do both wings sit parallel to the ground then?
    There are two blade stops on each side integrated into the center section to keep the wings from being pushed back too far ... one on the bottom and one where the cylinder bolts through ... do both wings look to be sitting the same where they meet the center section when in full v? wow, 4 inches is huge.

Are you sure one tire isn't flat? lol, joking ;)
  7. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Either the truck frame is bent or the A-frame on the plow is possibly bent.
  8. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

How about the horizontal hinge pin (when plow trips). It could have partially worked out.
  9. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

Mopard- I wish! That would be easy enough. I think I might have a bent mount. I'll have more time this weekend to mess with it, but I took the blade off today, and usually I have to use a floor jack to raise the blade up about an inch to get it to clear the hooks on the mount. My truck is raised a couple of inches and I have my plow mount on the lowest setting, but I need to use the jack to clear the mount. Anyway, I didn't need the jack tonight when I backed out, so obviously something is bent, I just have to see what. Hopefully I won't have to buy a whole new mount, but does anyone know what it would cost for a new one? I would think the mount would be easier and cheaper to replace than the A frame on the blade.
  10. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

caught a curb with the end of my blade and bent the a fram and horizontal hinge pin mine was 2 inches high on the right and flat on the left that was a $375 F**K UP there now i mind my curbs hehe oops
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think we need pictures on this.
  12. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

mine is the same way, just not that bad. my horizontal hinge pin is only halfway through and bent. since its bent it won't come out. but check that, mine is probably a 2 inch difference.
  13. SnowplowDude

SnowplowDude Junior Member

What did you finally determine to be wrong? Bent mount? Twisted/Bent A-frame? Migrated hinge pin? And what did it cost to repair?
  14. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

im having the same issue, did you figure it out?
  15. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

This is exactly what happened to my 8.2 ,and that hinge pin has to be put through from drivers side to passenger side or it will shear the threaded end off then back out.dropping the passenger side. Something that Boss posted a memo to there dealers,and corrected,but depending on how old the plow is it may have been before the posting. But definitley something to check on our plows.Thats tomorrows project for me, replacing that same pin .
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely your A frame is bent but it's hard to tell with out looking. I caught a manhole cover with mine on Sunday and it's bent a good 3". I need to take it off next week and see if we can straighten it or we'll buy a new one. Take it off the truck, it easier to tell that way.
  17. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

A frame is definately bent, GDMF*%(). been too busy to mess with it but we havent had any snow here so no worries i guess...