1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem with Boss Smart Hitch 2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allsnow, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

On my Boss V the smart hitch switch will not work in the upward position.The downward position works.Everything else electrical works fine.Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions welcomed.
    thanks

2. check the selenoid, had one go on me, would only go down because of the weight of the plow

3. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

I have'nt checked the solenoid yet,but it sounds like the place to start.
    thanks

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Are you talking about when you are hitching up to the truck?
    :rolleyes: John..........

5. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

The switch is probably faulty. We have had numerous switches fail with the same symptoms as you mention.
    Pat

6. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

Garagekeeper
    Yes it won't work when I try and put the plow on.The coupler tower will not move up and connect.
    Thanks

7. Also had that problem too, i have two extra switches on had, we usually go through a couple a year even putting di-electric grease on em.

8. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

A couple years ago the smart-hitch switch had silver/chrome colored terminals on the back side which were a problem. The brass terminal switch seems to work better--no problems since. Until switch problem was figured out we sometimes had luck pushing in on switch as you were pushing it up.

I hate to ask this but it happens often. Is the controller in the "FLOAT" position when your trying to smart-hitch?

9. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

Bossplow
    Yes the float is on when I try lifting it.I also found that if I push the tower while flicking the switch up and down I can get the tower up and on.
    Thanks

10. BossPlow, where in the thumb are ya located? just curious

11. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

You need to pull the cover and check the connections on the switch.
    You can also reverse the connections and see if it powers up.
    Then you know for sure it's the switch.
    :rolleyes: John..............

12. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

Kent Lawn Care--I'm located in Sandusky,

Just something that comes to mind, if it helps when you push the tower toward the truck, I wonder if it may be searching for a better ground. You may be getting a better ground thru the mounting bracket when you push the tower towards the truck. Just a thought.