1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with 7' Sport Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Allamand, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

Well, finally had a chance to use the plow here in northern WI in MARCH! So after I was done plowing my driveway, I went to take of the 7'sport plow from the 04 Ford F150 and the tower would not move forward away from the truck to release the Smarthitch when I used the toggle switch mounted on the tower itself. If I manual pulled very hard, I could get it to come forward most times when I tried.

I checked the fluid level and all was/is fine there, and never had this problem before. The plow is only 2 years old, and has only been used a handful of times. Already had to have on valve replaced because it was sticking, as the dealer said that "junk" from manufacturing more then likely had got into the valve.

Also, the ram moves fine when I use the hand controller, so then again, I don't think the valve is at fault, and I can here the solenoid working when I use the switch on the tower as well. Any thoughts to the problem? Please help!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

After you flip the pin levers to the "off" position, "bump" the light tower up first (with the switch) instead of down. This will relieve the tension on the pins and allow them to pop out so the tower can go down.
  3. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

Done and tried, still no go. Tower will tilt toward the truck and the pins snap out, but then will not move out away from the truck unless I pull really hard. I can tap the controller inside the truck and it moves out with ease.. just not with the toggle switch on the tower.

My Dealer said to adjust the bleed screw for the plow to drop slower, then it should work, yet the darn think takes forever to drop now, and nothing has been done to the plow to change the adjustment. If this is from wear caused buy less then 10x used, something isn't right.

4. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

did u put the plow in float mode
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you attempt to power the light tower away from the truck with the smart hitch switch, does the motor run? If so, take a look at the connections on the back of the switch and check the wires coming off the switch where they connect to the valves. It could be a bad switch too, they seem to go bad fairly often, especially if the plow is stored outdoors.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  6. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

It is in Float mode. The motor runs when I hit the switch.

I will take a look at the wires when i go to put the plow away for summer.
  7. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

Just an update to this. This plow was installed on 12-5-05, so it is pretty much new. I'd say with the lack of snow that past two years in the northern part of WI, I'd have maybe 20 hours of use.

I went to hook up the plow, and when I tried it at first, it worked and the tower moved away from the truck, but that was the end of my excitement. After taking it to it's summer home, I went to drop the plow, and it went down about 3" and stopped.This is not a good sign, so after lifting it back up and moving it right to left a couple times, I tried it again.

Well, if I work it, it will go all the way down, screeching the whole time. It sounds like the ram is binding almost. So I got a hold of the dealer, and he thinks it is from lack of use, that the ram is giving out because it is left in the same spot to much. He also did state he had another 7' Sport sitting in his shop with the same problem.

He told me to let it be all summer, and he will change the ram under warranty this fall and change the fluid as well. I just don't want to be stuck having to change a ram every 1 to 2 years.. that can't be right!

The only other problem I have had with this plow is the solenoid sticking, and the dealer said that was due to "junk" in the fluid from manufacturing. Could this "junk" be eating up my new plow?

I had no problems ever with my 3 year old boss V, but that truck took a roll, thus I needed a plow for a 1/2 ton truck, and this is not looking good, as two problems already, I don't know if this plow will hold up 5-6 years.
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lift cylinder

i have ran into a couple people i know ,different size blade's that have had lift cylinder problems,smart hitch and non smart hitch,they may be having problems with their cylinder manufacturer,seal's,or clearances or maybe there is something in the may it was welded together off enough to put the cylinder in a bind and wiping out the seals or galding the internals.are you getting any metal to speak of in the oil or on the magnetic drain plug?