1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Unhooking Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mike_13, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

I decided to take my plow off today since it doesn't look like we'll be getting plowable snow in the next few days. I did everything as usual to unhook the plow,( Controller in float, latches flipped to OFF, kick stand down) but when i try to use the SmartHitch switch to lift the tower I get nothing. The pump runs and I can hear clicking when I push the switch down though. Any suggestions? Bad switch? Relay? Solenoid?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I am pretty sure this is a Boss quirk, what I do is run the tower up first to let the pins flip to the outside and then down and it works pretty good.

However as you say if you don't get that first push on the pressure, I just push the switch in the other direction for a second, I will get pressure, the I go back to raising the tower and lowering like normal.

Check you fluid level on flat ground and see what you have.

good luck.

Mike

3. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

Previously, I would do like you said... Push the switch up initially to release the latches from the mount, then lower the tower. However, I am not getting anything when I push the switch up, which leads me to believe it's something electrical.

4. jimchris

jimchris Member

This has happened to me and then I found that I was not in float.

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

make sure your controller is red to make sure its in float because i've done this several times. if the plow is functioning correctly and your getting this still and your sure the controller is glowing red and in float your prolly have a problem with the switch let us know

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Defective smart hitch toggle or a missing (broken) pin in the bumper plug. Simply attach/detach it manually unit you get it addressed.

7. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

After doing some investigating, I believe the switch is the problem. I checked that the control is in float. Every other function of the plow works. I looked at the pins in the plug, none are broken or missing. I am going to look at the switch closer when I get a chance in the next day or two. Thanks for the help guys!

8. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

what if it wont?

My SH isnt working now,and there is no way i can push the tower up as it feels like the thing is locked into place.....what to do......sorry for the trouble,but i am at wits end trying to get this thing on my truck to sell is all...thanks

9. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

bad swich. try clicking up before clicking down . it usually detaches then

10. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

there needs to be a thread only for SH

there are eleven hundred forty seven post on the dang Boss speed hitch man o man this problem needs its own thread jezzzzzzzzzzz:realmad::realmad:

11. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

cannot

I simply cant get the tower up manuallly.....what could be the problem there....am i jamming it in the recievers,or is the hydrolics holding it in place ?

12. RepoMan1968

did your pins pop to lock ? it's a repetitious cycle . unlock you sector pins , switch UP then Down .

13. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Cant get it up

Stop laughing no pins locked,as i thought that wasnt an issue with trying to load the plow. I cant get it up manually and thought that it could be that it is under too much pressure from jagin it around from side to side which i only move an inch either way in order to check for operation....friggin thig is heavy!:mechanic:

14. RepoMan1968

lift the blade up and place a jack under the sector. unlock pins and jack er up gently on each side till .......wallah

15. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

cannot

the plow is not locked onto the truck,so i dont know how i could raise the blade to try this manuver :dizzy:

16. RepoMan1968

you in float position ?
    make sure the controller is on or plugged in .
    do you know how to use a screwdriver to bypass the switch

17. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

infloat

Yes it is in float as i have learned this last year when i initially got the plow home....I just replaced the cylanoid today as the old one had seen better days and broke off as i was checking it. The main hot feed broke off and i hade a spare. Where do you want me to jump at,by the cylanoid or the SH switch?

18. RepoMan1968

hot aligator jumper to up celonoid:mechanic:

19. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

bear with me

Which solinoid is it and where is it located......the cover is almost impossible to get off is it marked UP or what thanks

20. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

its spelled solenoid we wus edumacated at the same school

:dizzy::jester: