1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Topping off the Oil

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rondo, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Rondo

Rondo Member
    from 54166

I have an older Western plow. Mid 80's with cable controls. I wanted to top off the oil but first I cycled the plow. [up / down, right / left] Then I lowered the pump ram to it's lowest position.
    When I removed the fill plug. Oil shot out all over the place!
    Is this normal? If I wait a while I have no problem? Are there any breathers on these plow pumps?
    Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks,:cool:

2. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Appears it was overfilled, you were right in pushing the lift ram ALL the way down. Filling with ram up is the biggest cause of seals leaking on the ram. I would use it and then check level again level being at the bottom of fill hole. This leaves a little air space.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

When cycling the plow, you want to be sure to run it side to side first, making sure you have all the air out of the cylinders and hoses. Then with eh lift ram all the way down, check the fluid level, add if needed, then lift up the blade, continute cycling the blade to be sure the air is bled from the sysyem. It sounds like you were over full, and when teh lift ram came down pressurized the oil in the resevior. OR, you could have had an air bubble trapped in the system, which is only able to be worked out by cycling the plow side to side (that is the most likely location of an air bubble)