1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem seeing while driving

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jasondwade, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

I have a snowdogg plow. I have a dangeroud problem of not being able to see while driving on roads that aren't well lit, especially when it's snowing. My plow lights are reflecting off the back off my plow and can't see AT ALL! Any advice or anyone experiencing this problem?
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

adjust your plow lights up higher.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Sounds like your lights are pointing down too sharply or your plow is WAY too high.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I painted the back of my plow flat black. Helps a lot. also try not lifting the plow all the way up.
  5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Or add a spacer to raise the mounting point of the lights.
  6. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

Yeah, I ride with it all the way up and tilted some, but afraid it might catch on the road. I tried lowering it some the other night, but still was very difficult to see. It doesn't look like there's much room to raise them up.
  7. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Junior Member
    from VA

I always angle the blade to one side, most of the time all the way to the right. Then drop the blade down some. If you have it too high, it ll block the radiator and cause the truck to overheat, at least on mine it does. Then I loosen the bolts on the lights and angle them up until they are pointing out to the point I can see.
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

take a wrench and loosen the lights. put the plow all the way up and adjust them to were you can see.
  9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Do you have a good set of light? the cheapys suck! I had the $99 petersons and hated them, so I switch to the old style boss and it's a night and day differance,. So what do you have?
  10. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I moved the lights up to where there are only 2 mounting bolts rather thans 4 plus have them pointing up a bit. still could be a bit higher snowdogg blades are just a bit too tall imo
  11. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

The factory ones from the HD
  12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sorry I need more then factory HD, are you talking hinker dealer?
  13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

mine kept moving down on me while I drove (meyer tube type) I got mad and welded the things to were I wanted them..

If you can not get them up high enuff, you can make brakets to rase them and bolt or weld thebrakets in place and remount your lights..

I never thought of painting the back of the blade black, but I can not realy see my blade when I am driving, guess I better open my eyes more. Mine is poly so the truck headlight (dang daytime running crap) just makes it glow, kinda neat I think....
  14. deere615

Meyer plows are setup totally different than the snowdoggs. They are easier to see over ainly due to the blade hieght meyers are very small compared to snowdoggs. I own both Look at the difference these are my 2:

snowdogg meyer compare1.jpg
  15. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

WOW! That Snowdog makes the Meyer look like a toy! I never realized how tall the mold board is on them.
  16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I say Double WOW!!

I have never seen one like that, I do not think we get enuff snow here to call for a plow that big, heck that may be about the size the city uses to pretend ot clear the streets..

My Meyer plow wants to grow up to be a snowdogg LOL....

I can see why you all have problems seeing over that monster!
  17. deere615

Yes big difference indeed, and yeah we dont get a ton of snow here either, the meyer is usually nice but last lyar with the big storm, the Snowdogg was nice
  18. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

get a backrack and put spots on it or get a jeep light rack
  19. deere615

Dont know about your town/state but riding on the road with lights on up on top of the cab especially offroad only lights is illegal. Usually thats where I need more lighting is the roads rather than lots
  20. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

HAHA! Looking at the pic, it looks like the snowdogg is going to gobble up that little meyer. Yellow blade looks scared too!